Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs merc guys, 51 rear quarter ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50mercfan, Oct 21, 2012.

1. well, i drug home another 50. i got to thinking about doing some 51 quarter extentions on this one. then, i thought about making some that look like 51's. what rear bumpers look and fit right on a 51?

who has done this? any pics? i was looking at one a little closer. it seems the top of the 51 quarter goes pretty far up the top towards the rear window. what do you guys think?

2. I'm surprised Mick has not chimed in. He put 51 1/4's on his after it was rear ended and some Caddy bumper chunks.

Attached Files:

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

You might find some 1951 taillight / quarter extensions for sale here in the classifieds.

4. I'm dropping a '51 caddy bumper on mine along with some other subtle styling in that area to blend it all in.

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For some reason I like this picture better then what Dr. Dave posted. :) My Merc has
    gone through some changes. 52 Caddy back bumper, tailights are cut outs in the Caddy
    bumper.

[​IMG]

Good luck with the project. Happy Trails, Mick

6. LOL. Sorry about the outdated pic Mick....it's what I could find quick. Boy, it sure has changed a lot in the last few years, hasn't it?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was glad to see it this morning, I got to add another picture to my library.

8. mick, do you have any in progress shots. id like to see how far up the quarter you have to go. did you cut yours out or tack it on top? on the lower fender, did you have to extend it to the bumper or did you do it for styling?

9. have any pics?

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i converted this 50, to a 51. pretty much used the complete rear 1/4's off of a 4 door. the peak on the top runs pretty far foward.

Attached Files:

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad to say I dont have a lot of construction pics. We went as far back as the "c" pillar
    because I was in a accident and had to remove the damaged quarters. Then we had to
    build the lower part of the fender to fill in the void. You will notice that is why the body
    line fades into the top of the bumper.

JK and I compared '51 trunk decks and this is what we saw; they're is a small lip below the
    trunk, the pan was welded to the bottom of the lip and extended out to match the bumper.
    We had to cut the Caddy bumper into to do away with the liscense plate indention that is
    in the Caddy bumper. I use my liscense plate for a drag tag.

[​IMG]

If I find more pics I'll post them..

Happy Trails, Mick

12. No. I wish I did. I'm the slowest kustom owner ever.

13. ratster

ratster

now that's sexy and the chick aint bad either. ;)