Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc flathead into 49 ford question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T McG, Nov 9, 2006.

1. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I'll be the first to admit I'm a flathead retard. We are sticking a 49 Merc engine into a 49 Ford coupe. The water pumps are for sure different, and I can't find a pump that swaps. What am I missing here, this can't be that difficult is it?

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Try Speedway. They have 'em. New.

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Normally, you use the '49-51 Ford passenger car pumps. What I can't remember is if your Merc had wide belts - I seem to think it did - the Ford has narrow belts. You need the Ford pumps for the mounts & match the pulleys for belts. You could prolly swap all the pulleys (generator, crank, fan) from the Ford engine to the Merc engine - might be able to swap the Merc pulleys to the Ford pumps...

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ernie- the 49 ford car motors had wide belts... you can get wide pully pumps from speedway for 49 ford cars- wide or skinny... just get the right size pully TMcG when you order.

I ordered those speedway pumps and they work great!

Tuck

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Most '49's, Ford and Merc, had wide belts, changed to narrow in '50. If you have the Ford engine, just swap everything that's different. Otherwise, just buy Ford passenger pumps in needed width. I think you will need the Ford pan and pump pickup too--sump location was different.