Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Merc chop progress with compiled project pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Metallic green

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Aussiepete.

Aussiepete.
    from Australia

Wow Awesome craftsmanship .Love everything you have done and cannot wait to see the end result.

3. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Sorry to side track the thread but I was wondering if any Merc owners could get a quick measurement for me (Kustomkid had the perfect side shot of his Merc showing what I need). I need a measurement from the bottom of the door edge to the bottom of the front end of the front fender as shown in the attached picture. Thanks, Rhys.

Attached Files:

4. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

95 1/4 to the edge of fender where gravel pan is mounted. 96 1/4 to edge of bumper. But my bumper is slightly crooked right now. Hope that helps

5. farmer12

farmer12

Good to see you're back at it! Looking good.

6. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Hello Kustomkid,
    Thanks for the quick reply, the measurement I am looking for is pictured below. It's hard to explain but if you shoot a line from the bottom of the door edge out to the front of the fender, I need the measurement down from the flat edge to this projected bottom door edge line. I am measuring 3" to 3-3/4" depending on how I set my front sheet metal up (I am attaching to a non traditional frame and need the reference measurement). By the way, you do some awesome work. I have been following your thread for some time and I am enjoying the updates. Much appreciated, Rhys.

Attached Files:

7. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I measured the merc and got 3 inches for what you needed. Ryan

8. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Appreciate that Ryan. Keep us updated with your build pic's, Rhys.

9. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

No problem! Starting to work on the upholstery panels. Going to used all the stock interior trim from the 2-door and 4-door for the the door panels.

10. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Well, I got the engine out of the merc yesterday. Notching the front crossmember for fuel pump clearance, and I may have a running 56 265 in the merc. Need to get the 56 powerglide rebuilt.

11. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Reworked the old hurst engine mount so it will mount on the stock biscuits ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378609423.877511.jpg

12. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Engine is back in and the front is mounted. I installed a 58 powerglide since it was complete. May be able to move the merc around under its own power in a couple weeks. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378700877.354719.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378700934.562065.jpg

13. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Another shot of hurst mount ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378701171.038303.jpg

ROBERT JAM likes this.
  14. Ok so now I suppose you expect similar progress on the Pontiac thats a little pushy! The hurst mount looks well thought out nice work

15. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

You gotta lotta work done over the past few days. Keep the momentum going.
    Go man go, Rhys.

16. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Bought time you made some progress. Looks good:D

17. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Been working on some of the interior parts for the merc. Repainted the inner dash along with making knobs. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449434630.329821.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449434656.877159.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449434686.513646.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449434711.182113.jpg

Icufltrn and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Really nice that dash looks great. Keep us posted.

19. Very nice! I wish I would have used a creamier white like yours on my dash and column, but it's striped already so I guess it is what it is. Great job on the knobs! I think the turn signal knob is my favorite.

Kustomkid likes this.
  20. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

The knobs were fun to make. The push buttons for the radio is a pain in the a**. I ended up getting some vinyl so I'm going to play around with the upholstery. Got the front seat repaired so white and green tuck and roll.....

21. Excellent! Are you planning to do a Hirohata-ish interior as well to go with the dash? I'm headed that way myself. Did the headliner this last spring...it didn't turn out as good as I hoped, but I learned a lot for my next try. ;)

IMG_8207.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

That's awesome! Yeah I'm going to do that! Did you use the headliner bows or build a structure to staple it in?

23. I used bows, but am debating using a structure to staple it up when I redo it. I didn't have a full set of bows when I did it, so I'm certain that was part of my problem....that and I let my pleats get to wide, so I missed my marks where the curve of the headliner should be. :( Have you ever seen the article in Custom Rodder about how they made the structure to staple up the one in the Zaro Merc when Kurt McKormick restored it? I may do something like that next time.

Here's a link to the page in my thread how I did mine....failures noted. LOL

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-un-dork-ifying-of-a-merc.678319/page-14

24. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I have that issue. Was think going that route. It's a cool headliner.

25. I think that might be the more sure fire way to get it to hang right the first time. ;) I forget my measurements on the width of the pleats and panel spacing. I think I have it written down somewhere in the shop. If I find it, I will pass it along to you.

26. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Your merc looks great

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  27. Thanks, it's getting there, slow but sure. LOL

28. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I have had this steering wheel for a long time and just got it back from Koch's steering wheels. They did a nice job of recasting it! The color is so close. Really surprised since I matched to a old porcelain shake maker. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453510110.160713.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453510161.061197.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453510197.729859.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Tman, kidcampbell71 and drdave like this.
  29. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Coolcool wheel !!!! bit big for me but it will sure finish off with your Dash....Love it

30. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

So Nice.......[​IMG]