Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Merc-0-Matic.... Worth using??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marman1950, Jan 17, 2013.

1. marman1950

marman1950

I got a 51 Merc with the flathead and Merc-o-Matic transmission. Motor runs good but the transmission needs a rebuild. This is a cruiser and speed isn't a concern. Not really worried about having a cross country ride. I have considered all the options... C4, t5 etc.... But I kinda like the idea of keeping it original (minus the fact that its dropped to the ground that is) but I'm wondering if its a waste of time/money using the Merc-o-Matic? Anyone have one and can tell me the pros/cons and your experience with the transmission?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. I think the Merc-O-matic went out of production in the early 80's,,I think parts are probably getting a little hard to find and rebuilding one may be throwing good money after bad. HRP

3. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Merc-O-Matic is a good trans, parts are available but there is one problem. Fomoco (actually Borg-Warner)in their infinite wisdom designed that trans to take off in second gear. It is actually a three speed, but in Dr position it takes off on second. so couple that with a flathead in a heavy car and you have new meaning for the word slow. I know you said its just a cruiser, but I think you would be better with something like a c-4, if you want to stay automatic. As HRP said Merc-o was around for a long time and eventually became Cruise-o-matic, and later FMX. There is a way to build one of the newer variations and put it in your case but thats the stuff of a tech article. And you need to find a guy who is willing to do it as well. If you weren't in San Diego, I'd say bring it over, I'll walk you through it.Again, for what that will cost you, you are better off with someting newer(C-4). JMO.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There is a trans shop I think in Texas that will make those trans start out in first but would probably be cheaper to adapt a C-4 or FMX.

5. jhaas63

jhaas63

I vote for keeping the merc-o-matic. It sounds like you kind of want to keep it and I would care if I was the next person to own it. The next owner could always "unlower" your car if that was important.

I may not be an objective source on this though...I have a 53 F100 with the fordomatic and I am never getting rid of it. I dont need to go fast...I just want to cruise!

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ford-O-matic and Merc-O-Matics were pretty good trans.... I'd keep one, if I had it. I believe rebuild pieces are available.

4TTRUK

7. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I have the original ford o matic in my 55 Tbird. My local tranny shop was happy to rebuild it for me , knew them well and had no problem finding parts. Mine is an air cooled unit and it performs well. Just make sure you have the linkage that runs from the trans up to the accelerator linkage as it controls the shifting points. Mine starts in second also but the little bird steps out nicely drop it in low at a light and she really goes.
    By the way the rebuild was cheap by today's standards. A c4 is the best substitute for a Merc o or a ford o at least that is what I have read.

Pete

8. snaptwo

snaptwo

The early Merco/Fordo was air cooled and were filled thru a plate on the pass. side of the floor boards. I had a '51 with a merco years ago , really wasn't too bad really but the front seal started leaking badly. It was easier for me to put a 3 speed/OD , had to change the column to 3 on the tree and the stock rear axle ratio was a 3:31 plus the clutch pedal and linkage . Good thing there were several Mercs in the wrecking yard to scrounge from. I think if you can find an honest tranny guy in your area that has white or no hair , check on rebuilding your unit, parts should still be available. You can get around the 2nd gear start by moving the shift lever to LO then upshift to drive for 2nd then put the shifter back to LO while still in 2nd , it will stay in 2nd until go back to drive.

9. marman1950

marman1950

Good info. I had no idea they started in 2nd. I have yet to look into rebuild parts. I know Kanter has the gasket rebuild kit though. One of my concerns with the c4 was it fitting under the floorboards without having to fit in a larger Trans cover. Really is not about the work involved but the floors are so solid I wanted to keep them as is. Guess I should look into the price first. At a certain point ( financially) it might not be worth keeping it! It does drive like a dog now. I always thought it was just an old Trans but it sounds like it won't run much better after the rebuild but hey.... I won't get there fast but I will sure look good when I arrive!!!!!!

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would think the C-4 trans case is a bit smaller than the Merc-O-Matic. The '51 models of Fords got higher humps in the floors to accommodate the larger case of the automatic and I would think that would also have applied to the Mercs.

I think if you will check into it, the clearance is there. Having said that, I am not advocating you to change trannies. Just clarifying what I believe to be the case about floor clearance.

Ray

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

12. marman1950

marman1950

Thanks for the link info. I called a local transmission shop and it seems that it really isn't much more to rebuild the Merc-o-Matic compared to a c4. Also... It is true that the automatic mercs have a bigger hump then the standard shift models... I didn't measure it but I stuck my head in my friends 50 3 speed and his hump did look smaller.... Man, I think I'm 60/40 in favor of the Merc-o-Matic. If that's the case don't plan on pulling next to me at the light wanting to race!!!!

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is not that just "automatic equipped Mercs" got larger floor humps, ALL
    Fords and Mercs got them, regardless if they were stick or automatic, when the automatics were introduced.

Ray

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You already have it and it's paid for. The Merc-O-Matic was designed to work with your engine's HP and torque characteristics which I believe is a problem with some C4 adaptation.

Unless you want an overdrive or something, the 3 speed you have will be about as good as any other 3 speed you can put in.

I vote for keeping the Merc-O-Matic, especially as it seems that it will be fairly simple and cheap to get it rebuilt.

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'll vote again for keeping the Merc-O-Matic,....

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

16. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While Ford-Os and Merc-Os normally start off in second if they are working properly when you punch it they will start off in first. Unless it has problems that make it much more expensive to fix than replace I'd stick with it.

17. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My father in law was in high school when his dad bought a new 51 Merc with Merc o matic, and one of the selling points was you could throw it into reverse while going down the road and it wouldn't hurt it. He did it once and the car suffered no side effects. He was a little hard on things as a youth:)