Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Memories of Christmas morning 1960

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Dec 24, 2016.

1. toml24

toml24

I got a cool 1960 Highway Patrol tin toy car on Christmas morning, 1960. 56 years ago. I recently reacquired an example of the car. The photos are from 2016 Christmas Eve.
    DSCN4308.JPG DSCN4294.JPG

2. Broderick Crawford would approve.:D;)

3. chevy57dude

chevy57dude

Very sharp. Wide whites on a 2 door HT Ford.
    Merry Christmas to all!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I got this about the same time (56 yrs ago). The retractable hardtop version. 20161225_063643.jpg 20161225_063759.jpg

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. tb33anda3rd

tb33anda3rd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

a few years later. my first set of tools. tray1-126.jpg

6. I grew up in an automobile family as my dad was a Lincoln / Mercury and Nash dealer. He dealt a lot in used imports and sports cars in those days and it rubbed off on all of us.
    The first time he drove home in a Jaguar XK 120 I was totally in love. It's all I talked Sleeping with my Jaguar.jpg about for months.
    On Christmas morning I unwrapped my own XK 120 from under the tree.
    My younger brother got a metal MG TD toy for Christmas also.
    I cherished my Jag for years. Here I am the night after receiving it sleeping with it.

hendelec, gonzo, MO_JUNK and 5 others like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. 30panel

30panel

Got my first set of Inglewood slicks white walls, under the tree, "Better traction I said".
    My Dad chuckled.
    Merry Christmas !

9. King ford

King ford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from 08302

gotta love a POUND A PEG!

Ron Funkhouser and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I was 9 years old the Christmas of 1960. The main thing I wanted was an AMT 60 Chevy pickup model that came with a car hauler trailor. Santa must have been pissed at me and brought a 60 Ford pickup kit instead, I loved it anyway- still have it in my model showcase!

11. All really COOL pictures guys.Bruce.

12. A great bunch of Christmas stories. Thanks to all.

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    As an aside to this above story about my brother, he did not want to have the 58 Chevy Impala any longer. Since he could not drive for the next 6 months, he was finished with that car and memories. So, he wanted to sell it fast. My mother needed a car to go to the grocery store and shopping, so she said that she would buy the car. Well, that fell right into my lap as I was designated the "teacher." I had to teach my mom to drive a 3 speed trans with a heavy duty clutch action. That was a story in it self... Also, the plus to this story was that I was now the 5/6th owner of the 58 Impala if I gave my brother my savings account. That was a deal I could not pass up...so, I was the primary owner of a 2 year old fast car, But I had to teach my mom how to drive this stick shift car. That would not be a problem...Happy Christmas, indeed...my own car...yes!
    Jnaki

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. Barrelnose pickup

Barrelnose pickup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Christmas 1960, I got the best gift a kid could ever get,
    I was 36 days old and I got the Family for Christmas that had just adopted me.
    Best one for them as well probably.

15. ....................We await further confirmation.:D;)

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    In December, 1960, one of my wishes started coming true. My brother was in his 4th month of recovering from his 3rd degree burns (over 30% of his body) he received when our 40 Willys C/Gas coupe blew up and caught fire at Lions Dragstrip back in August. We just got the word that towards the 21st, he was strong enough (and the burns healed enough) to come home for Christmas. He would be able to recover at home instead of that cold hospital room where he spent 4, touch and go months. Yea!
    Upon getting home before Christmas, he got right to work telling me to type out an AD for the January 1961 issue of Drag News. He wanted to sell everything sitting in the workshop/garage left over from the salvage of the burned out wreck. The complete 671 SBC with the 6 Strombergs and the rest of the parts from the Willys build. He told me that he felt well enough to start something new...no, not another race car. We had to calm down our mom first, then would think about some other projects. It was a happy Christmas to have him recovering at home. ...Back to our nightly race car discussions.
    Jnaki

hendelec and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7 years old. Remember these gas powered babies?

[​IMG]

18. toml24

toml24

My brother and a friend were really into COX Trainer control-line planes with the .049 engine and later graduated to the .035 engine COX planes, then graduated again to Radio Control planes. I was the holdout because I was into cars and never got into powered cars. so I really just watched. Once in a great while I would be allowed to fly them and I never splatted one.

19. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

My dad and I would fly the COX trainers too! We flew them control line until the fuel blowing out would melt the rubber bands holding the wing on then they would disintegrate into the parking lot usually!
    PT-19's I recall. Funny thing was my Dad was a real pilot trainer in the aircorp with the real PT-19's

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got one of them for Christmas 1960, control line, didn't take long to bust it up, but was fun while it lasted.

21. toml24

toml24

My dad was a Lieutenant JG in the Navy and actually crashed a Navy Trainer in a field somewhere in the states. He bellied it in and walked away. We had a photo of it in the family archives at one time. He later became a pilot for Western Airlines and flew the Douglas prop planes on the West coast.

22. 56shoebox

56shoebox

AWESOME!!!!!! My wife and I received our adopted daughter on December 19, 1991. The best Christmas present we could ever, ever wish for. 25 years later she has grown into a beautiful and successful woman that we are very proud of.

Attached Files:

23. I was 14 then. Probably got a bunch of car models and some ugly clothes.

24. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I would like to add that every year we celebrate "Gotcha Day" on December 19.

Ron Funkhouser and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

I was 6 and got an electric train. It was a Lionel, but it didn't have smoke. I remember asking where the smoke was and the Ol' Man blowing smoke from the Lucky he was burning and laughing.

We had moved to San Francisco, I remember wondering how Santa was going to get into the house because we didn't have a chimney. My sis said that he had a magic key that would open the door.

hendelec, Ron Funkhouser and Stogy like this.
  26. I was decades from being born in the 60's, but I am envious of all the neat toys you older guys got. This year was my Son's second Christmas. I had my buddy from a print shop take the story "The Red Racer- a Christmas Story", about the life of a red thimble drome race car, that I found on here and make it into a small book, and gave that along with a thimble drome racer to my boy this year.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-red-racer-a-christmas-story.1044431/#post-11832675

IMG_0550.JPG

27. Muttley

Muttley

Christmas 1960....................my Mother was 9 years old.

Stogy likes this.
  28. toml24

toml24

In addition to the Highway Patrol car that started this thread, Santa brought me a metal service station that was exceptionally cool, which by the way, I also reacquired an exact example very recently. 1960 was a good year.
    1960-Christmas morning.jpg 1960-T Cohn-RED CORNER-2016-1-CUSTOM CORNERS.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  29. AmishMike

AmishMike

Gee. - make me feel really OLD... 1960 I graduated from high school.......

Stogy likes this.
  30. This is my Christmas 60 or 61 { notice } the 1961 model under the tree. I think I posted this photo on a different thread. But it sure fits here. I still have those trucks. I'm the one with the flat top. Ron... 031.jpg

hendelec, jnaki and tb33anda3rd like this.