Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memorial Day Honor (O/T)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy gal, May 19, 2009.

1. This is O/T but, I think, still needs to be said. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

We have all known someone who has been in the military. Hopefully, they make it home safe. Sometimes, though, they do not.

My dad enlisted in the Army right after high school. He was in the 545th Military Police Co., 1st Cavalry Division and was sent straight to Vietnam after basic. He never, thankfully, saw any major combat but said he did lose some very great friends over there. He still kept in contact with those that made it home. <O:p</O:p
    He and I had several discussions about war and how I, being young and not really understanding the concept very well, was against it all. The whole thing. All of it. Needless to say, that didn't go over with my dad very well. It wasn't until I got a little older and heard about classmates' mothers, fathers, brothers & sisters being killed in the Gulf War that I realized what my dad was saying. Lots of people hate war but if we didn't fight there (on enemy soil), we'd be fighting here and if we didn't protect our freedom and land, we would have no freedom or land. <O:p</O:p
    I'm still not a big fan of war itself, of course, but now-a-days I stand up for the flag and hold my hand over my heart when the Pledge of Allegiance is said and when our nation's anthem is sung. I shake the hand of those who have returned and say thank you. I have more respect for the country in which I live, even though things aren't perfect and may never be. I'd still rather be here than any other place. <O:p</O:p
    I thank my dad for showing me how to be a better American and for telling the stories and showing me the pictures from his past.

With all that being said, I want to say THANK YOU to ALL who served our country and are no longer with us. With every breath we take, we are alive and free because of you. Your spirits are with all of us every moment of every day! <O:p</O:p

Ryan, if this not appropriate for the forum, I apologize. <O:p</O:p

2. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

Well I could not have said it any better...and thank you for thanking me...been there done that bought the shirt....and I would do it again proudly given the chance...I'm one of the lucky ones...came back all in one piece physiclly and mentally ( well the mentally is depending on who you ask)