Register now to get rid of these ads!

Members Down Under: article on "Quad Al"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gowjobs, Jul 11, 2005.

1. gowjobs

gowjobs

I seem to remember someone mentioning that there was an article within the last year or so on "Quad Al" in one of the mags from New Zealand or Australia. Can anyone tell me what mag/issue I need to search for? A buddy is trying to replicate this never-ran in scale, and only has an old original article that ran in one of the American mags back when Quad Al was unveiled... the photos are pretty vague where the details are concerned. He's hoping perhaps the newer article has some previously unpublished shots that he can use to accurize his build.

(For those that don't recognize the "Quad Al" moniker, it was a '37 Fiat Topolino body on a pretty hefty chassis supporting FOUR Allison V-12 aircraft engines - each pair driving an axle. NHRA track officials supposedly told them not to even bother taking it off the trailer when they went to test it - even if the car was deemed safe, it was so heavy that the guardrail couldn't keep it on the track if something happened. Many believe that it was never actually meant to run, and was just mocked up for publicity shots.)

Dave

Dave

2. Always wondered what happened to Big Al. Someone once posted that he was living on Maui, but I have friends there that are very active in the drag and cruising scene and they've never heard of him.

If you could find him, that would certainly help solve your mystery and get your buddy some pics.

BTW, Where's he getting the engines?

3. SimonSez

SimonSez

I should have it at home - I'll have a look and let you know what I find. The article was on Jim Lytle (not just Quad Al) but it did have some photos of his cars.

Jim Lytle was down here in New Zealand earlier this year, giving some help to someone here who is rebuilding an Allison powered dragster. He came down to our hot rod clubrooms one Friday night and I was lucky to be able to talk with him for a few minutes. He is a very interesting and innovative man.

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Dennis:

If you want to talk to Jim, show up at our camp at the 4 mile marker, just north of the pits during speedweek. Jim alway shows up and has some stories to tell and some pictures to share. He generally stays for a couple of days and is one hell of a nice guy.

B:)B

5. So Mr K, where does Al live?

6. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I think "Big Al" the car is in the Garlits musuem. Jim Lytle lives in Maui.

See ya in L'ville.

B:DB

7. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I talked to him at Bowling Green. You are right he still lives in(on) Maui. The original Big Al is in the Garlits museum. He just built a replica of it and had it at Bowling Green. The original Quad Al is setting in Hartford City, Indiana minus the engines.

8. gowjobs

gowjobs

So, is it where anybody can get any shots of the bare chassis? I'd love to be able to see this thing in the metal.

Dave

9. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Sent you a PM.

10. Hmmm, the only J Lytle according to Switchboard.com lives off front Street half way between the Cannery Mall and the old Chart House restuarant. Drove by there a couple of times real slowoow and couldn't find any evidence of any special interest automobiling. My friends Bob and Leslie Smith live right in Lahaina (he's the NSRA State Rep and they're the movers and shakers behind the Maui Classic Cruisers and used to help run the Maui drag Strip) and they've never run across him. Maybe it's because he's in New Zealand, Bonniville, Bowling Green while they're in Bakersfield, Knoxville, Louisville:confused: I'll have to ping them on this one again!

11. gadgetx1

gadgetx1

Hey

Finf the back issue of Rod and Custom-October 1985 for a great front page and article on Quad Al