Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Melting tail light lens

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skyrodder, Mar 12, 2011.

1. skyrodder

skyrodder

Do I need some kind of voltage reducer to keep my lenses from melting?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TJJ

2. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

lower watt bulb maybe?

3. I had the same problem after converting to 12 volts so I used LED's......Brighter and no heat.

4. Yes, watts and heat are directly proportional. Might have your wires crossed..i.e. brake light filament used as tail light.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

^^^What he said. Also LEDs are a good idea, maybe try drilling a hole in the top of the bucket to vent out some heat into the trunk.
    Don't do anything to decrease brightness, thats just unsafe.

6. big bad john

big bad john

.....LED's would be the way to go.....I would check and see if brake light is on all the time instead of tail lights

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Aren't those lenses available in glass?

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

LED's ... Now those are traditional!

9. skyrodder

skyrodder

Thanks, I'll check my wiring when I get home, question about LEDs can you tell they are LEDs or just look brighter , what I mean is can you see the small led bulbs thru the lens?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TJJ

10. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

If the wires aren't crossed and all is ok, you should be able to find a lower watt bulb rather than resort to LED.

Maybe someone here can post a list of 1156 or 1157 style bulbs in different ratings

11. Arominus

Arominus

You can tell via the fact that they light up so fast and the wavelength of the light emitted is rather pure. If you get something like the Superbrightleds 45led bulb its harder to tell outright though. They have a 360 degree dispersal pattern, i have one in the 3rd brake light of my DD and you can't really tell except for the reasons i stated.

I wouldn't be scared to run em, even if the cranky "trad" guys get pissed. Rodding has always been about getting little advantages and improving your car. These buy you some reduced reaction time from the drivers following you and frankly anything i can do to reduce the chance of getting rear ended is a bonus in my book.

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If its inside where it can't be seen, reduces the heat, makes the light brighter and therefore safer I don't see any reason not to use an LED. Traditional is nice, but common sense should factor in.
    There is a thread on here about LED bulbs but I couldn't find it. Pretty interesting read.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  13. RDR

RDR

riding the brake pedal?

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Assuming it's a 6 volt original bulb, have you checked to see if there is a 12 volt version of the bulb with the same base? Is there a number on the bulb?

15. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

alot of parts stores are handing 2057's out for 1157's (or whatever) and so forth. Yes brighter, but hotter.

16. are you using halogen bulbs? They are real hot

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

How close to the lens is the bulb? Maybe you could modify the light to move the bulb further away from the lens.