Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Meltdown Drags -VINTAGE DRAG Meet- at Byron Dragway-July 31st

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Here is the carnage form the Koopmeiners & Sons 55.

Posi is still in tact.....SHEARED the bolts holding the ring gear on to the posi....they are all sheared off...WOW....was not expecting that. Ring gear and Posi may be useable again....spool going in. The posi was a NOS Superstock unit I got from a guy to cool to break.

rear e 001.JPG

rear e 002.JPG

rear e 005.jpg

rear e 006.jpg

2. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Actually..without checking I am sure all the bolts are sheared and inside the ring gear...not sure....carnage.

3. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is pretty remarkable. If I recall correctly, I think that you mentioned that the bolts were all a super-strength grade, well beyond grade 8.

4. Wow, That takes some power to do! All that from that little 301? Imagine a 1000 hp bbc!:eek:

5. I told you when it was on the trailer that I didn't think you could break that hemi trans.:D:D:D

Because the car would only roll backwards made me sure that it was in the rear axle. I expected pinion or pinion bearing problems, but in your case the ring gear was moving out of position.

***putting on my engineer hat *** Those ring gear bolts need to create enough clamping force to carry the torque from the clutch engagement times the trans first gear ratio times the axle ratio. And with a good clutch, the engagement torque during a holeshot is far more than what the engine is developing. If the ring gear bolts loosen up on a drag car, they resulting shock loading of shear and bending will eventually break them. In fact, many do not recommend re-using ring gear bolts.

In non-engineer terms, stick shift = carnage...

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about how Dick Landy recommended checking the torque on the differential case bolts as well as the ring gear bolts every so often as he found they sometimes lost torque on his superstocker Dodge.

Call me if you need any help building another third member. You know I have all the axle tools;)

6. ....I think there were more 55 Chevies there than anything,...here's a shot I got of Mike's 56 only part way up,...he really put on a good show every pass.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. ...I really liked this 30 Chrysler coupe with injected SBC...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  8. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Goober started this thread with some great coverage

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498179&highlight=meltdown

and a great video off youtube
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yG2Nh2JWQ-I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yG2Nh2JWQ-I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

9. Me too, but I am biased.

It is a 1930 Chrysler. The owner is really cool and let me look it over real good...

Sitting in it was a great motivator for me to finish up my other projects and get working on my 1930 Dodge coupe...

10. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

The best part on this Chrysler is a textbook example of why a sbc was put into a majority of 30's cars....it fits like it was came in it from the factory. Very nice car...
    definately a show/drag car....very cool!!

11. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

AJ..was that the "drive the train" engineer hat you had on?

Detailed inspection of the rear end shows NONE of the bolts loosened up.
    They are all still lock tighted in place. The spacer ring spreads the load out further from the ring gear and the shock of a 4speed car allows the bolts to bend slightly, then the down shifting reverses the process bend forward, downshift bend in reverse....over and over until.....BREAK....Don't run a ring gear spacer in a stick car...bottom line!

Glad to hear it was nothing I did...I checked the ring bolts prior to install again....before this was put in. Automatic trans...less carnage.

Rear getting setup as we speak...probably not in time for Symco...:(

12. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I thought I posted these pictures, but maybe I'm losing my mind.

I received an email from a guy who took some great pictures. Here is one of me facing off against Steve Bacon of the Geezer Gassers in his Injected Willys.

Note: Steve's Willys circa 2010
    [​IMG]

and Steve's Willys on the same track, in the same lane circa mid 60s
    [​IMG]

13. What were your e.t.s and mph???

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

my differential is back together and the car was on the track on Saturday. Seems that the pinion nut had worked loose and the pinion backed its way out. What a mess, but all it needed was a gear set and installation kit. Had Gil Santiago dial it in for me and he did a great job for a price that was more than fair.

15. Hi Mark, I ran a 11.0 @ 120 mph in the Fiat. What did everyone else run?

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The Abomination ran a 12.25 at 110 mph. and I drove it home at the end of the day. Eric, you should fill everyone in on the results of our match race.

17. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Ryan you souldnt be like that!!! You know I would rub it in through:D

Eric thr season isnt over just yet but we do have next year!.....

18. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I know I know....Jeez a guy over rev's at the line and everyone thinks it is a victory.....Ryan, you know there were still 2 more races to run....so don't count your chickens until they are hatched....
    Meltdown next year...rematch? breakage = draw..remember you can also break
    I think I ran an 11.82 or somthing

19. Really it was the "Loose Nut" that was BEHIND the wheel!!!:D Hahaha... Had to do that!

Tickling the tens.... I know that car is capable of tens or better

Nothing worse than trying to guess what it would run... those are great numbers... Feels great to put a number to the performance of your street car doesn't it?

20. mjb3707

mjb3707
    from chicago

i ran a 10:16 10:08 and two 10:11s and not a lot of wear on those front tires ha! ha!:cool:

21. .....sooooo, ...what's the date for 2011?

22. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

2nd ANNUAL MELTDOWN DRAGS! July 23rd 2011

23. ...thanks Ryan.

24. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to plan Byron this Saturday morning, and wondering if any body else had an interest in going? No event, just test & tune. But it's more fun with at least a couple of other people.

I blew my transmission on first pass at the Meltdown, so I never got a feel as to what the car would do after resolving the clutch slippage.

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the Midwest Gassers are running at Great Lakes on Saturday, otherwise, I would love to join you Finn. I hope you run good. Keep us posted.

26. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob,

I'm not finding anybody to go to Byron this Saturday, so I'm going to change plans to go to Great Lakes. I looked at the schedule, and it appears that the track is not closed to the Midwest Gassers?

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Finn:

there will be some bracket racing and the MWG are on the program. It is the postponed Halloween Havoc from last weekend. See you Saturday!

28. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Make sure you don't miss this years event.....

check out the website below for details!!!!

Be there!