Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Meltdown Drags 2014, Pre-register NOW!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Nov 16, 2013.

1. im going to see if i can get the original candies and hughes 65 awb car there to drive. its the real deal with lots of history. we would be looking for match races. i have driven it into the nines. looking for similiar performing cars.

2. i will also ask a local guy about bringing his awb car to race.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Do you guys have a limit on the number of cars you can have running at the event?
    I've got a pile of parts in the shop, and am using the Meltdown as my "Best if used by" date!

-Brad

4. Not sure. We are headed into uncharted waters. We will need to re evaluate entries as we get closer. 102 cars and 7 months to go.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Would it be a matter of limiting it by each class would have so many entries? At least that way each group would be represented by how you guys would set it up. One other issue kinda like happened how Sunday wasn't as busy this year by what days each entry would attend. I know that would make it complicated if you had to turn people away and had others that wouldn't be there all 3 days.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Let 'em all run! Breakage will thin the herd!!

I'm SOOOO looking forward to this race!

-Brad

7. I scored an excellent quick change differential last time I went to the meltdown can't wait to go to the next one!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

8. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

That would be awesome!!!

9. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Last July at the Meltdown I ran a couple of 9.80's with my AWB Chevy II. Let's pair up our cars at the next Meltdown and give the fans a show!

10. Saxxon

Saxxon

Damn right !!
    I'd pay to see that...

11. sounds cool i have rosin and flags if you want to go all the way with the show. three bumper dragging dry hops add some fun to it all.

12. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Rosin, huh? I've never even done an across-the-line burnout with my car. I'll need a backup girl to help me out!

13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

X2 run what ya brung

14. i will call the el-toro guys in st.louis to see if they want to bring out their original a/fx plymouth. the car hauls ass and is the real deal. i was hanging out with them this summer during a stop on drag week. bob wop has a original 65 dodge a/fx car. john grinwald hit the 8.9s with his recently completed 65 awb dodge this could get crazy. good thing i have about 20 pounds of rosin on hand. i need to make some phone calls.

15. There will be a new Hemi powered 65 Plymouth attending the meltdown this year it will be at my shop in about a month to get painted he's finishing up the Sheet metal and suspension now.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Do fast cars require an actual NHRA cert? I built our Dragmaster safe but the local NHRA inspector won't sign off on it. Ran an 8.85 @ 165 down at MoKan this year. Pondering making the trip to Illinois.

17. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Kerry, that would be great if you hauled your old-time dragster to the Meltdown. The Byron Dragway manager might be able to give you some info on tech requirements.

18. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

maybe we can get the Meltdown guys to give us a match bash class.

19. i have video from 1965 were they run the fx class four wide at byron. they actually used two flag men. that would be cool. that would be about the only thing i have not done in a awb car. it would be fun but i don't think they would let us do it.

20. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Guys...Have not been on here lately....AWESOME AWB discussion...We have an F/X & A/FX class that is geared to these types of cars....any straight axle falcon ,fairlane, nova, mopar, etc..that would visually fit in can run it....cannot wait for the photo opportunities AWESOME!!! Brian great to have you attend!!

21. Any spots open? Thinking about towing the Dragmaster up.

22. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Yes plenty of spots left...just pre-register even if something last minute comes up that you can't make it. It doesn't cost anything to pre-register so your not out anything if you can't make it last minute.

23. MS34COUPE

MS34COUPE

This question goes out to all of the veteran attendees of this show...
    the drag racing is enticing enough to get me to pre-register, but once the racing is over for the day, whats the night life like? Is there a parking lot party at the host hotel, does everyone hang out in the pits, or is there a known main cruising strip?

24. Kerry, bring that Dragmaster on up! You'll have a blast and we'd enjoy finally meeting you in person. You get yourself preregistered and we will take care of you.

25. Many racers cruise on over to Sam's which is the local burger joint a couple miles away in town. Everyone behaves.

Can't say anything about what took place at the hotel since I stayed at the track, but I do know lots of people hung out at the track 'rehydrating' and bench racing with friends both old and new. Camping is allowed on the track grounds with paid entry.

The relatively mellow night life is not really what brings people to the Meltdown Drags, its the REAL VINTAGE DRAG RACING that does.

26. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

It is all about the excitement during the day. Although if I were you I would stay away from the Great Lakes bunch, they can make your head hurt in the morning!!! LOL

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

We stayed late (ish) Saturday night last year and made the rounds. It was all about good food, new friends and more than a few adult beverages if you were so inclined.

We were totally exhausted from the day so we were more than happy to bench race into the night and generally have a relaxed but good time. I've been there twice now and have not heard anything negative about any aspect of the event. Including what happens after the track lights go out.

Sam's is an experience you have to be part of. There were 2 cruises there last year and I drove the Scout to the Friday night event. It's a blast and a must attend. 30+ cars show up, and they will let you drive your open header race car down the main street to get there as long as you behave. Even Quain and Donovan Stott drove their 9 second gassers there to be part of the scene.

Of course the one time I drove the Scout there and wanted to be loud and proud as I left (safely) I forgot to turn on my fuel pump. Nothing like a couple of hundred folks watch you stumble and stall as you limp your way down the street. Oh dopey me...

28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

What Saxon said....The whole deal is a laid back no pressure deal.
    Most long haulers are repeat attenders.:D

Meltdown Drags July 18,19,20 2014
    www.meltdowndrags.com

29. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I hope you make the trip. I was following your thread after seeing the HAMB drags coverage

Meltdown Drags July 18,19,20 2014
    www.meltdowndrags.com

30. lol.....;)