Register now to get rid of these ads!

MEL engine in my 59 vapor locks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fuel to burn, Dec 24, 2013.

1. txturbo

txturbo

If it was a venting problem or a line sucking air it would most definitely rear its head on a highway cruise.....and he said that isn't the case. It only happens when he stops and shuts it off. I had this problem on a 66 Impala once. PO had reinstalled the stock carb and intake on the 396 but didn't install the insulator between them. That carb would get so hot that as soon as you shut it off all the fuel in the bowl would vaporize and the fuel the pump was pushing in would vaporize as soon as it hit the fitting on the carb. Pump was pumping but it appeared no gas was making it to the carb. So I would crack the line as it comes out of the pump and see if you have fuel there first.

2. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

OK, I finally got it fixed. When I attempted to remove the pushrod, It would only slide out about an inch. I'm certain the end is "mushroomed" and that is why it was not in contact with the pump lever for part of the rotation.

I drilled out the mounting holes on the pump an extra quarter inch and installed it so that it was lightly touching the pushrod at it's lowest point.

I drove the car all weekend in warm weather, plenty of stop and go and all conditions that were giving me problems before but no more problems now.

Once I get a replacement I can tear into the front of the motor. Might as well do the water pump while I'm at it.

Thanks for all the input, see you at the Roundup!