Register now to get rid of these ads!

Medallion tach wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newredporch, Apr 20, 2013.

1. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

A friend donated this tach to my project. I am wondering if anyone can help with how to wire it. I don't want to fry it. The only thing it says on it is Medallion and "japan". It has five wires..... red, black, white, yellow and green. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. that's a lot of wires. i'll guess black is ground , white is light , green is signal from distributor , red is 12 volt switched power..... that leaves yellow?

or maybe it needs a sender?

not sure if it will hurt anything to try

3. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

my buddy said it worked on his car 20 years ago and he didn't have a sender. Why do I always end up with weird stuff. lol

4. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

I tested things out and found that the white and black wires work the light. Pretty sure the black is ground. the question remains, is the green wire for signal or is the yellow wire for signal? The green wire seems to go to the needle. Still not sure.

5. jgar

jgar

A lot of the Medallion tachs were used in marine/boating applications, you could check around in that area. Not sure but I think Medallion was bought out by BorgWarner Instrumentation some years ago. Might check with them too.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  6. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

thanks for the info. I will check that out.

7. plutoniumfeather

plutoniumfeather

the archives did not fail! i put one of them in my original '72 Pinto Back In The Day. couldn't bring myself to throw it away when i sold the Pinto, and of course kept the destructions!!

enough nostalgia:
    Model 62-695, L3631 for 6 or 12 volt systems
    black = ground
    red = (preferably switched) power
    green = negative terminal of coil
    white = lights in 12-volt systems (not used in 6-volt)
    blue = lights in 6-volt systems (not used in 12-volt)

(and if it still works, it's going in the "new" Pinto.)