Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Mecum Kissimmee 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

The thing that got me at this auction . Was the number of high end cars that didnt meet the reserve. There was a whole collection of Yenko cars and I think only one of them sold . Who knows maybe they evetually sold at the bid goes on desk. I agree with Gary the cost to attend has gotten beyond what I'm willing to spend.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Thanks Greasemonkey for sharing. I need to plan a Disney World trip for the grandkids, around this.:rolleyes: Lol The Chrisman coupe was a steal! { a holy grail of Hot Rods }, It's one of my all time favorites. I hope that it goes to a museum for everyone to enjoy. But also gets taken to Bonneville for speed week, just to stretch it's legs. Your photography is great! :)Ron.....

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Love the black Corvettes with the poverty caps...

4. Great group of cars..thanks for posting the pics.
    I watched a little bit of it on TV, and saw a very nice appearing black '39 Buick coupe sell for $14K..I must be the only on who likes the looks of those.

5. ............We have much the same taste, but I knew that already.:)

6. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks for the photos. My first time at this event. I don't think it is a must attend every year. But I had an excellent time. Snowman

7. You've got a great eye! Very nice pictures, thanks for posting them!

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.

8. A yenko stinger corvair sold for $220k!

I know what you mean, but a gt500 sold for 2.2 million, a newer Ferrari sold 3 million and plenty others were high. I think there are too many "rare" muscle cars that look way too similar. The unique stuff is cool

9. I agree it's not a must attend but I find it an experience most should see once. I live 3 hours away and have gone to the last 3

loudbang, jim snow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Thank you everyone for the photography compliments, I have been a cellphone photographer for a few years, but this was my first event using a real camera. Hopefully with practice my photos will continue to improve for all of you to enjoy

11. 396/425

396/425

These auctions amaze me. It’s their money and these folks are free to spend it, but the prices they pay. If you advertise a nice car on the internet for sale...you get nickeled and dimes to death. I guess should take them to the auction...these people overpay at will. (In my opinion) . Nice pictures. Thank you. We’ve been to Barrett Jackson and Mecum. It’s a different crowd. BJ is even more of a Money is NO object crowd if you can believe that. It’s a freak show. It’s worth it just to people watch.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, very good photography, pics better than many on Mecum's own website.

Was fun to page through all of the ended items, see what sold and what didn't, and for how much. Lots of big numbers out there, but over 100 pages, there was quite a few cars I'd say went for very fair prices, and a small but noticeable few that seem like real bargains.

The yellow '50 Ford convertible that went for $22K in particular, make me think I should make a really big effort to sell off most of my project cars and go to an auction and wait for a bargain on a finished car to come around. Maybe some cars aren't as nice in person, but it looked damn good to me.

I can see how an auction like this would be really fun to go to.

13. pitman

pitman

The McMullen pics made my day!
    Appears just like the album cover.

loudbang and greasemonkey54 like this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The Mecum auction was spectacular. One of the best car shows ever with
    vehicles you will never see. Great venue and great weather. It seems that 1950's cars are losing their value
    as each year passes.

15. Great pics, ya did good
    For some reason, the poverty caps on this vette are sexy
    DD576CF1-A72C-4471-B01B-4542CCD5671D.jpeg

16. Great entertainment. :)

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  17. Wow....that was my old boat....or one just like it ! Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures - lots of nice shots - and posting them !

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  18. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I acknowledge that some cars did sell for big money . I was just surprised at how many didn't. I don't think I've seen that many "Star Cars" not sell. These after all where the car's being heavely promoted in all the advertising leading up to and during the auction. Still though lots of eye candy.

Sent from my moto e5 play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and jim snow like this.
  19. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Well I did say one of them sold. LOL

loudbang and greasemonkey54 like this.
  20. That car was beautiful. Cars like that are easy to photograph, they just show up good from every angle

21. The aqua colored boat was selling with a matching vette to tow it

22. They did look great on that car. There was also a white 63 split window on white steelies that looked sweet

23. Gotcha, I only spent about 1 hour watching cars go across the block. The 3 highest cars I remember were a 67 vette for 130k, a divco milk truck and a Chevy cabover ramp truck each got close too 100k. I think the boss 429 mustang's sold well this year, but I only saw 3. I enjoy the yenko stuff but there are always a lot there, that's gotta make selling harder. It amazes me the perceived value of some cars that did not meet the reserve. There were at least 3 that bidding was over 1 million that did not sell.

24. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks for the great pics. Never thought much about these auctions but after seeing your pics I'm going to put attending one on the list.

25. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Yep! That was my Build. I have a vacation home in Ormond Beach, Florida, so I figured it would get more action down there. Didn't draw what I thought, but I dropped reserve and let it go at a bit of a loss.

loudbang, Stooge and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Excellent job on representing the Event! Even with the quality of cell phone photo technology, it still takes a great eye to take a good picture!
    Glad you enjoyed it. I too had fun, and although I lost a bit of money on my Sale, I'd do it all over again!
    One thing I will say about the General Admission cost. I truly believe it keeps out much of the Riff-Raff. I've been in Barrett Jackson Auctions, and the General Admission Day at $10. is a real shit-show! People with no appreciation of what they're looking at, very disrespectful, and ignorant.
    From those experiences, I chose to stay with my consignment most of the time, and was pleasantly surprised by the polite, enthusiastic crowd.

IMG_1834.JPG

Paul B, loudbang, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  27. ..........Sorry you had to take a hit on it. I saw it when you had it on here in the classifieds and thought it was a pretty fun ride.

loudbang and FrankenRodz like this.
  28. Stooge

Stooge

I knew it looked familiar! I really liked what you did with it, the wheel color, the roof, interior, etc, just a cool car that looked like you had some fun putting it together. I don't remember exactly what you had it for sale at on here/ craigslist, but I remember it seemed pretty reasonable for the work done to it, and as someone who's been in and out of the market for a 49-54, it was just bad timing on my part. Sorry to hear you didn't get what you were expecting!

loudbang and FrankenRodz like this.
  29. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thank you so much! The car was very well received, and had a steady crowd at Mecum, but the market has definitely swung toward the restomod buyer who doesn't have a clue how to work on what they are driving.
    Check out my Build Thread for auction details. I don't want to HiJack this Thread.

30. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

This year was my 6th time to be at Kissimmee. It is getting bigger each year. Crowds on Thursday and Friday looked like Saturday crowd just a few years ago. Mecum offered a gold bidder sale last year a half the normal price. I did it and attended several events. Sitting on row 2 or 3 makes all the difference in the feel and excitement of the auction. It is hands down the best car show ever. Something for everybody.