Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MECO torch tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Jul 25, 2014.

1. flypa38

flypa38

I have an old MECO torch and don't have any tips for the cutting torch. Anybody know if other brands will fit or am I limited to MECO?
    Hoping to find some at Canfield swap meet tomorrow so just trying to figure out what to look for.
    Thanks
    Johnny

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Great question! Just yesterday I 'reactivated' my old MECO Aviator Jet torch which had laid dormant in my welding toolbox for the past several years. That very question crossed my mind.

In my case, my MECO regulators, which I bought new in 1971, failed a few years ago and my local welding supply guys told me they couldn't be repaired and sold me a new torch/regulator set. It is a nice Victor unit, but larger than I prefer. Yesterday I wanted to do some light brazing/silver soldering and got out the MECO torch to see if there was some way to use it. The answer was SO simple, I was kicking myself all afternoon. A new hose set with "A" fittings on one end and "B" fittings on the other! $19.95, and made in America. All I ever needed was a set of new regulators and that hose!

Hope someone who knows the answer about the tips will reply. Meanwhile, if you find a 'stash' of MECOs, I'd be a buyer for a few if you find more than you need.

Ray

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thank you that link.......half the problem solved.....they have cutting tips.....but apparently not welding tips, according to the welding tip offerings. But that is a start.....

Thanks

EDIT>>>>>> just did Google search.........found this
    www.gossequipment.com go to website, scroll down left side to MECO STYLE......they have both welding and cutting tips. Made in Pennsylvania.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

4. daddylama

daddylama

the tin man...
    tinmantech.com

he's a huge supporter of the wee little meco... i got tips from there and eBay (welding and cutting)

5. flypa38

flypa38

Mine is the old blue handle type regular sized one. I was mostly wondering if a Victor or something would fit if I see a pile of them laying on someone's table at Canfield. I thought I remember reading that MECO was bought out by another company who continued to produce the same stuff under their label but now I can't find were I read that!