Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mechanical Temp Guage...Ideas on hiding the wire/hose???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deyomatic, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Once again, google isn't doing much for me.
    I can't see too many detail shots in old Rodder's Journals or other books I have. About to run a mechanical temp gauge to the thermostat housing and will have the "wire" running through the firewall and out to the front of the engine. I was going to use those brakeline clips with the rubber half grommet but wanted to check in to see if there's anything that looks cooler than that out there.

Thanks!

2. dartracer

dartracer

Ran mine under the intake. (392 hemi)

pitman and hemihotrod66 like this.
  3. tomcat11

tomcat11

The capillary tube can pass through a grommet in the fire wall and be carefully bent with gentle radii and shaped to follow the contour of the intake manifold flange or engine block depending on what engine you have. Mine have always been pretty much freestanding with a question mark shape or loop at the end (SBC/BBC).

pitman, dana barlow and squirrel like this.
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

That's what I did. Split some asphalt loom and slipped it onto the thermostat wire. Ran it thru 2 insulated brake line clips attached to the valve cover bolts and then wrapped black friction tape around it in a couple of spots. Have very little wiring showing in my engine compartment and what is, is asphalt loomed.....so it fits right in.
    DSCF1231.JPG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022

5. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Thanks for the tips. The engine in question is a Y block with 100 less cubes than Dart’s Hemi. I have a gap between the lifter valley cover and the intake. I wasn’t sure if that would be too warm for the capillary tube.
    What about the asphalt wire loom- would that “melt” if I put it between the intake and lifter valley cover?

Thanks

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

My loom is rated at 275 degrees. Never had an issue where I have it - the gap beside the intake manifold.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I would just leave the tube bare, support it occasionally with a clamp like you first suggested, if you can. Mine's been snaked along the engine and just going along for the ride like Joe's, for a long time and lots of miles, it's not something I worry about.

Callmaker likes this.
  8. Like Squirrel said that's how I have mine been that way for40 years
    No problem.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I've been running a Ford Y in my rod a long time. from 1959 on.
    At the very bottom of pic,is Temp gage line.

Always use mechanical. gages,but don't run any lines close too engine for long runs.
    I taped left head rear small plug{ it has a smaller then needed,in most left heads for a 6v or 12v temp sender,} so I tape that out to fit Mechanical fitting. All though that is best done with head off,block,I have done it with a vac cleaner working as I drilled an tapd;to minazing bits from getting in,another trick I was told about but have not used is hooking house water hose up to engine/at heater tap on water pump. To let water flush all drilling n taping as your doing. Point being,having a fitting at back of head ,lets the water temp run a very short ways to firewall. 009.JPG

The crank vent is also homemade from valleycover to intake. It replaces draft tube.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022