Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Mechanical Genius" comments you've heard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CustomCab, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Horrible Fright drill press can drill triangular holes with round bits.......

2. Or drill a 17/32" with a 1/2" drill. :eek:

3. Oh my goodness, I think I've used one of those before!

4. Morris

Morris
    from UK

I saw one drill a hole at college back in the early '70's. It has to have a square guide plate and also a pilot drilling first. Totally impractical, more a demonstration of whats possible if you understand the geometry of it. A broach was quicker and neater.
    Back to the topic.

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

ah ah! This must be the best one ive ever heard! So much for sand bags in the trunk!:D:D:D

6. "Aww heck, I'm just cutting the straps (with a torch)- and there's only a quarter tank of gas... I DID jack the back of the car up, so there's no chance of the gas catching fire."

Greenblade likes this.
  7. Ratfink749

Ratfink749

From some kid explaining to me how he changes the oil in his (new) GTO:
    Yeah, after lubing up the oil filter o-ring and filling it.. I always dump the new oil into the engine, THEN I cycle the key to the run position 4 or 5 times to make sure the oil system is fully primed before I actually start the engine!

I had to try REALLY hard not to laugh at him. Gotta remember, The customer is ALWAYS right!

8. It,s not the Gas its the fumes

9. We knew that, but the "gentleman" was determined to do it (there was no arguing with Ray- he always knew best), so we watched... from FAR away and behind the corner of a building.

10. ricky from va

ricky from va

a kid just told me saturday he was running his dist 69degrees advanced????????? ben running like this for 2 months. not 6 or 9 but 69

11. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

A few months back the new kid couldn't get the shop truck started, 69 Ford with a 429 & C6 - loose battery cable. I told him to get in and turn the key on an see what the guages were doing, I wiggled the cable an jumped the starter solenoid with a pocket knife- started right up. When he asked how I fixed it I told him the battery was kinda low so I had to flip start it with the fan like they do with the old airplanes. Still funny to here him explain to other people how to do it.

12. "This isn't a regular production 250, it's a Bo Laws racing 292 that accidentally got put in the assembly line".

13. indyjps

indyjps

Had an old girlfriend ask me why the oil cools off when the car runs. Huh. yeah look at the guage, when you start it, it runs on the right side H - for HOT, after a while it cools off and runs in the middle.
    I thanked her for paying attention to the guages at all and explained oil pressure.

Was a radio guy in the army, always sent the new guys to the supply room for a can of reception grease, you know to put on the antenna. Had some of the old crank up Korean war era radios that worked real well on metal folding chairs.

Show Chrome - Police Interceptor - My Uncle Used To Have.... any story involving these factors have me worried

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    Greenblade likes this.
  14. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Along those same lines, I had a guy tell me once that he took his springs off his trunklid so it would throw more weight on the rear of the car for better traction. You know.....otherwise it's always trying to "lift" the trunklid. :D:D:D
    Phil

15. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Maybe not mechanical, but stupid none the less. I had an otherwise intelligent 75 yr.old man tell me Henry Ford invented the automobile, And the Model T was the first car ever built. Takes a lot to leave me speechless...But......

Greenblade likes this.
  16. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Well, fortunately not all car people are assholes and sooner or later, this young man will come across someone that will set him straight and he will have found a mentor to help him on his way into the world of cars rather than trusting in some pompous prick that thinks it's clever to get laughs at someone else's expense.

Greenblade likes this.
  17. try telling him the Dodge Brothers used to build them and watch his head explode!:)

18. Thank you. I am glad you posted this.
    We need more honest people and a lot fewer jerks.
    The real fools are not the trusting people they play for fools, but it is the pompous jerks themselves who are the real fools.
    I think they are very correct when they brag publicly that you cannot trust them for anything.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  19. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

FER CRYIN' OUT LOUD. Can't you 2 take a little joshing? I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend. lets all hug-it-out:rolleyes:

20. Sure, I have done silly things like that to friends and had things like that done to me in good humor. But I have ALWAYS explained the reality to them when the joke is over. That is where the difference is.

The difference between me and you- I have always had the courtesy to correct the "humorous" info before it becomes damaging to others.

That is what is called "common decency"

It is when you send people out to spread your "knowledge" to others and look the fool to others. THAT is where you are showing your contempt for them and your disregard for common decency to others.

THAT is when a funny joke becomes destructive and the perpetrator becomes the "pompous jerk" who is hated.

Peace. Treat people well and do no harm to others....

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

In high school my friends were, of course, car guys. One day we were all talking cars and one of my friends starts to boast about how he had done a wheelie in his car the night before.

His car was front wheel drive.

Greenblade likes this.

22. I have had the front wheels off the ground before in the Taurus I bought for my daughter.

Well, it was a really bad double railroad track I drove over much too fast....

Can I count that?

Greenblade likes this.
  23. Nothing wrong with ensuring the filter is full and there is actual oil pressure before firing the engine. I expect that is all he was trying to do.

I have heard bottom ends rumbling on oil changes where the filter hasn't filled. There is no oil pressure until all of the air is displaced. Prudent practise in my view.

24. belair

belair

^^^^^^^Yes-but cycling the key to "run" doesn't do anything to help prime or pre-lube the engine. If he bumped it over by goint to "start" on the ignition several times and didn't let it start, it might do a little pre-lubing, but that's not what ratfink said.

25. He probably heard that it was a good thing to do when you run out of gas in a modern car (electric fuel pump) and then pour some fuel in the tank. ...to prime the fuel lines..
    That replaces the old "prime the carb" procedure done in the old days.

He just didn't know it doesn't work with the mechanical oil pump.

I think it's a little sad that what we used to think of as important knowledge is being lost and forgotten today. The fact is that there really is less of a need to know all the details of how our machinery works today.
    People are not as connected with our daily machines as they used to be because it isn't needed as much as it used to be, and because the machines don't have "personality" anymore.

Let's face it, today's diesel trains just don't stir the soul like the old "live" steam trains used to. It's that way with so many things now. Bland appliances.

26. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I mounted three Stromberg 97s backwards on a intake, I had lots of guys say that won't work, they have to be facing forward..????????
    Duane..

27. There is a reason some animals eat their young , sounds like there are great meals in these storys!!! Dumb ass with a hint of imitation intellegence and a side of fries jambed in the pie hole!!! Rob

28. dragster dude

dragster dude

when i was doing my aprentaship my dad rings up and wants me to go help my brother change a flat tyre,and i will need to take a jack cause hjs wont go high enough (wtf).when i get there my brother shows me the handbook for the car opened to the jacking instructions and says "i put it where the book says" .i have a look and what he has done is put jack under the sill and push it under as far as he could ,he couldnt understand what i ment when i asked if he noticed that the stuff on his bock seat was getting higher but his car wasnt. i was just glad it was a frontwheel drive car not one with a tailshaft.

29. DougHH

DougHH

Here you go:

[​IMG]

30. bob308

bob308

some comments seen right here.
    use 56 corvette fuelie pistons.
    yes they didi make that it was a rear special order option.