Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mechanical Fuel Pump Lines Question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Cool, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Just got in from my buddies house...he is building a late 20's Roadster PU.

He has just installed his fuel tank (cell) Behind the rear axle.. This cell has bottom outlets. His concern was the routing of the fuel lines. The fuel line will come out the bottom of the cell, crosses under it...now it has to go up ...basicly to the height of the cell to follow the frame OVER the rear suspension (18" rear kick). From there it is all lower than the cell right to the mechanical fuel pump in the stock location (SBC 327). Fuel pump is an EDELBROCK PERFORMER STREET PUMP.

His concern is that with a section of the fuel line going higher than the outlet port on the cell..the pump may not pull fuel. He does not want a bed mounted tank..that why it is mounted behind the axle.

I'm not sure so I figured I'd get some input from you guys for him!

Thanks!

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

should be fine, mine in the shoebox runs up pretty high and its got a stocker pump and does great. Is a bit hard to get primed if I drain the fuel bowl, but it works fine after reprime.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Lots of tanks have the outlet in the top of the tank, which means as much lift as the setup you mention. They work OK. Unless you have an engine with huge fuel needs, or tremendous acceleration, it will work fine.

4. parklane

parklane

Will work just fine, cuz you're getting a syphon action going there.

5. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Thanks everyone....we fired up the engine today and all worked well!!! Held a nice steady Fuel pressure!!!

I'm going to get rid of my noise maker Holley blue pump now on my rod and go mechanical!!!

6. i use both, just put the electric on a switch so you can turn it off/on when needed. comes in handy when your car has sit for a while. i just started my `36 after about 2 months. turn the key , hit the switch for the electric pump and the motor is ready to fire...you don't have to do all that cranking to get the fuel up. then turn it off and let the mechanical do the rest

7. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Good idea... but doesn't the electric pump restrict flow when it is not runnning??