Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mechanical fuel pump clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gareth Bell, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gareth Bell

Gareth Bell
    from San Diego

Hello all. I recently ordered a new electric fuel pump to replace with the old one that was gunked up when I replace my rusted fuel tank. But I still want a basic reliable mechanical fuel pump more than this electric one. The 52 has a 350 with a 73 camaro front clip and the distance from the fuel pump mounting point on the block from the front end is too small to fit a mechanical fuel pump. Any ideas on getting a mech pump in there? Thanks in advance

2. Gareth Bell

Gareth Bell
    from San Diego

In the right corner is the mounting point on the block covered by a plate

Attached Files:

3. Notch the crossmember, had to do it on a friends '50 Merc with a sbc. Can you take a few more shots from the radiator back, it's odd that a Camaro clip doesn't have room for a mech fuel pump.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2

5. If its got a Camaro clip why don't the fuel pump fit? The '73 Camaro didn't have an electric pump from the factory? Are you running the correct motor mounts?

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, need better pics - "should" be room to bolt on - what is up with the ground strap and plastic fuel(?) line tie down?

7. I'm agreeing with the other comments. My 52 Chev pickup had a SBC and a Nova Subframe. The mechanical pump fits in the stock location.

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

With the clip there should be plenty of room for the stock mechanical fuel pnmp

9. Gareth Bell

Gareth Bell
    from San Diego

Just got back on here. I just got the car so I'm working through the kinks and all the redneck mechanicing. I bought a mech fuel pump and tried to see if it would fit and it seem to have enough clearance. I'll work on some more pictures shortly

10. The problem you may have is installing the pushrod for the mechanical pump.If it has been removed

11. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I had thought about the mechanical pump fitting the clip as well, but if you look at the pic, it looks like the motor mounts are moved back a couple inches. Note the extra holes forward of them.