Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mechanical compressor in air bag setup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. randy

randy

I've been thinking of using a mechanical/ engine driven compressor on an air bagged car I've been working on. The idea of an air bagged car that doesn't sound like a blender when the tanks are filling is just too good to pass up.

So, what do I use. Is it just an A/C compressor with the refrigerant line hole plugged? Or?

That Vintage air company makes some nice looking & fairly compact compressors for a bit of money or the junk yard has endless piles of old a/c units for cheap.

Thanks in advance.

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

the best compressor to use is a york ac compressor, because they are self-lubricating, kinda like my girl. many have used sanden compressors too, with an oiler on the input and a filter on the outlet. whatever comp you use, you basically put a filter on the intake side, and run the outlet to your tank, use a good high temp hose, stainless is good. run one wire from your pressure switch to work the ac clutch. i run a york on one of my cars, i love it, it puts out a ton of air compared to any of the elec compressors.

3. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

haha, about 2 minutes too slow!

5. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

6. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

mercedes benz from 1958 through to 1972 had various top range cars with air suspension( 300SE,SEL etc ) .The compressors were driven off the engine.You need a decent size tank to if you want quick rise those.

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

there was a guy here in town (whaletail on here) that had a belt driven set up that used a clutch...no tank, and it was FAST up and down. 59 Elky. Kick ass car.

from what he told me, he had the usual solenoids (2 for each bag, though) and 4 of them would also activate the clutch on the compressor-air on demand.

I was wrong about the tank- search "Members" for a (relatively) detailed explanation. apparently, it only took the compressor 20 seconds to fill his tank from empty!