Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mechanical and hydraulic brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil P, Dec 17, 2018.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

In 39, Ford began to use hydraulic brakes but on all four wheels. He never mixed hydraulic and mechanical on American cars. Yes the big trucks were mechanical until 39. Also Yes, you can lock up all 4 wheels with mechanical brakes but it takes massive maintenance to maintain those brakes when in daily use and NOBODY is willing to do that

2. Austin A30's (60's English econbox) used hydraulic front and mechanical rear.

The rear was a rods system operated by a hydraulic cylinder in the trans tunnel.

It saved one slave cylinder and created all sorts of problems.

3. bct

bct

is the blood in my leg muscles hydraulic?

4. oldolds

oldolds

I had a 50's Hudson at one time. They had hydraulic brakes with mechanical back up. If the hydraulic part stopped working the mechanical worked the rear brakes. I was told that many times people never realized they had a brake problem.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  5. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone, the seller said he had magazines showing these combinations. The ford pilot used a similar arrangement so it could be done. As most here have said (and Malcolm) just because you can doesn't mean you should. Phil

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So if the mechanical brakes fail you deploy the hydraulic jacks/brakes on all four corners?

Jet96 and anthony myrick like this.
  7. that's a completely different situation so far removed from the original posters question that i will not even discuss it