Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mechanical and hydraulic brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil P, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went out to look at a front axle today hoping to get hydraulic brake parts for my model a. Do to a miscommunication on the phone it turned out he had a newer ford axle still with mechanical brakes. I thanked and said I really was looking for hydraulic brakes to match my 9" rear end, he said no problem I could use mechanical on the front and hydraulic on the back, it was done all the time. I can't find any reference to this with Google. Can any body give me a reference. Phil

2. i'm sure it could be done , but i'm not sure how to do it ....but why would anyone want too?

use hydraulic brakes...either disc or drum....on both front and rear. the correct parts you need are out there somewhere and can be found

nochop likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

With all the posts here about getting the proportional valve adjusted front to back with hydraulic brakes, I cannot imagine how you would do that with a mix of hydraulic and mechanical brakes.

deucemac and nochop like this.
  4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I built my first hot rod in 1962 and to this day I have never heard of this before. One or the other, but not a mix of hydraulics and mechanicals.

olscrounger likes this.

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

You guys miss the point – the guy was trying to sell the axle.

lurker mick, Jet96, deucemac and 6 others like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

heh...yeah, just another lying seller.

olscrounger and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are more suspicious than I am but you have a point. Phil

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you include the parking/emergency brake components, yes “it’s done all the time”.....

As for ‘service brakes’, I have never seen it in my many decades of constant involvement with automobiles and light trucks.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  9. My guess is that he is lying through his teeth just to sell the axle. I bought my first Model A in 1962 so I have been around them for a while. Try asking if he knows of someone with this set up that you could look at? Since it is done "all the time" he should be able to point you to one to look at.

Charlie Stephens

10. BJR

BJR

Obviously it is not done all the time as no one here has ever heard of it being done.

Beanscoot likes this.
  11. Mine has that
    It’s called an emergency brake
    The term emergency was replaced with the term parking
    Mechanical brakes are for emergencies and parking
    Herry Ford fought the edvance of hydraulics because he was cheap and stubborn

Hnstray likes this.
  12. redo32

redo32

Rolls Royce had hydraulic and mechanical system both activated by the foot pedal.

On both Bentley S1, Bentley S2 and Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I / II cars, the braking system incorporates a gearbox-driven friction type servo motor which is engaged by the foot brake pedal. The output from the servo is transmitted through hydraulic cylinders which operate Girling Hydrastatic brakes incorporating special Rolls-Royce features.
    In addition to operating the servo, the foot brake pedal is also connected to the rear brakes through a mechanical linkage of rods in tension, as also is the handbrake, and supplies 40 per cent (Bentley SI cars) or 30 per cent (Silver Clou 2 cars) of the effort applied to the rear brakes, the additional 60 per cent (S1 cars) or 70 per cent (S2 cars) being provided hydraulically.
    The handbrake also is connected to the rear brakes through a mechanical linkage.

Hnstray and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. the last one I worked on was years ago, but I remember the brakes working comfortably. it had a progressive pedal action.........or something like that. I can't remember but it changed depending on the speed of the car? do you know what am I thinking/remembering?

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Ford Pilots. Hydraulic in the rear...mech up front.

Done "all the time" though...don't think so;)

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that was the other way 'round.

Blues4U likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Well..knocked a few back..so will have to go out tomorrow and check it out.

Need a chassis? ;)

Desmodromic likes this.
  17. redo32

redo32

To be truthful I found that paragraph and copied and pasted it. My only experience with Rolls was my neighbor Chuck, a"jack of all trades" did some restoration work on a Doctors mid 50's right hand drive Rolls that he bought direct from England. It looked good for a couple of years, then the rust started popping through the bondo that the fine English craftsmen had applied. This was in the mid 70's and I remember him stating that the rear brakes were mechanical.

18. I got a rear axle from a British car that has both mechanical and hydraulic
    Mechanical brakes and s built it hydraulic jack system
    I guess changing tires was more important than stopping
    52B9ABB2-EFEF-49F9-8AC2-102AA0BAF40C.jpeg 339ADA6D-27CF-460F-AA07-23F2372CE9C8.jpeg

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It speaks volumes about how much time a builder thinks what they made will be broken that they included the jacks in the design.

Jet96 and anthony myrick like this.
  20. Maybe folks here should consider this
    Getting jacks under some of the lowered stuff we build sux

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I set minimum ride at 4". My jack drops to 3-7/8" (and goes up to 31-1/2").

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"The Security of Steel - From Pedal to Wheel"

Interestingly enough, can't pull something out of the weeds after 50 years and expect the juice brakes to work, though mechanical brakes will. Not saying they are "better", just that they work fine when adjusted properly.

23. I need one of those.
    Jacking up the bus stinks

24. Even stopping at 75mph+ like we enjoy running our modified Henry rides?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only 3000lbs.

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'm not sure. Maybe. Didn't they use mechanical brakes on big heavy trucks and log haulers? I'd think the brake design doesn't care how that force is transmitted. In other words, I think they could be made to work fine, sure. Why not?

27. I got a late 30s front axle with mechanical brakes
    They still work
    May use em if I ever need a front e- brake

28. Well, maybe if you work out really hard.
    Wonder if we added a slave cylinder to actuate the mechanical brake lever
    ???

Truck64 likes this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Didn't Ford have juice front brakes and mechanical rear in 1939? I know English Fords had such a combination a few years later.

Mechanical brakes can work practically as well as hydraulics if everything is perfect. Some heavy, powerful cars of the thirties had mechanical brakes with vacuum assist. Still, I wouldn't trust them on anything but a restored car with stock engine and bias ply tires.

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

I've done something similar but not on my Model A. I put a Goulding sidecar (hydraulic brakes) on my 1942 Harley, (Mechanical brakes). How? Easy. Leave all the mechanical parts as is. Add the master cylinder near the brake pedal, and the pushrod. Why? So the brakes on the sidecar work.