Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Me to a T

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kume, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Kume

Kume

Hi Bob
    Thanks for complements.
    Wheels and hubs are from an early 18 inch 1930s English Riley. Rear radius rods are Model A and front are custom. both use 1928 Chev tie rod / drag link connections.
    Ken

Six Ball, chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Kume

Kume

Thanks Greg.
    Am just waiting on a radiator core being made to get it running.
    Ken

3. Kume

Kume

agreed. they are a great design.

Six Ball likes this.
  4. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Kume, Glade I found this, If you were my neighbor my T Roadster would be so much further along.

Cheers...Mike

Six Ball, Outback, Kume and 1 other person like this.
  5. Just got caught up. Has it really been eight years? I remember you tossing ideas around back then. Nice to see the result. Very fricken cool.

Six Ball, chryslerfan55, Kume and 2 others like this.
  6. Kume

Kume

Thanks Jeff
    Made some progress this week in prep for winter work. Having assembled it on my front lawn over the past few years I had to do a bit of pruning to get it out and into the garage (formerly our home office). Not much space living in the city!. My wife got to choose between the magnolia and the palm. The palm lost. Roadster now safely in garage ready for finishing over the winter. Am now held up by chap making new radiator core. He has had it for 4 months !

20200904_162914.jpg 20220402_135725.jpg 20220403_084543.jpg

Driver50x, Blade58, Six Ball and 14 others like this.
  7. Gofannon

Gofannon

Looking good. You need a period correct engine lifter to go with the period correct sack barrow.

Stogy and Kume like this.
  8. Kume

Kume

I thought i recognized that pickup. Hope you are getting time to work on your own projects.

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  9. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'm making time. Trying to get my engine built before all the old codgers that know what they're doing peg out, or parts suppliers shut down due to the coming financial crisis. Working on getting it to a stage I can roll it out and take some decent pics.

10. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Wow! I love your use of parts! The car looks great! Only just saw this thread! We have a Riley 9 going together at work. It will have an Imp body.

Six Ball, Stogy, Kume and 1 other person like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I painted a 1933 Riley IMP years ago, GREAT fender design, really liked that car, so did the owner. Bob

12. Kume

Kume

The Riley Imp and MPH from the 1930s are lovely cars. I wish I had either one in my garage. I do have a few Kestrels from the mid thirties hence some of the Riley parts migrating to the roadster. I have thought of putting a Riley 12/4 drive train in my roadster but the Riley track is much narrower than the ford T - not impossible though.

13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

@Kume I have been pondering a CS Amilcar project for a while, using a Riley 9 engine/g'box. I have also started collecting a pile of T bits to build something, perhaps a Roadster or possibly a boat tail racer with offset seats etc. I have also wondered about using a peroid English Engine as part of the project.... Glad I found your thread, will watch patiently!

Edit - a 12/4 Riley would be a great engine in a T!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Six Ball, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. Kume

Kume

Yes a 12/4 Riley would push it along nicely or a 14/6 if you can find one.

Six Ball, Stogy and Outback like this.
  15. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It seems as though 12/4's are difficult to find over here as it is!

16. Kume

Kume

There are lots of cheap RM's out there (Australasia) - abandoned restorations etc. The RMB 2.5 motor could be detailed to look quite pretty with headers and a shiny pair of SU's. Great power to weight in a special or Ford T roadster.

17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Just to let you know that we haven't forgotten you!

Six Ball, Kume and Stogy like this.
  18. When you say Riley are you referring to this? EEB205E3-BA94-48A4-8B4B-D78D71B0887A.jpeg

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Odd that the sign mentions 4Port when the Riley head is the TWO PORT version.

Bob

Six Ball, Jet96, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. It,s the original wooden body structure that makes those abandoned late 40s early 50s Rileys cheap. Who else still used wood in 1950 :rolleyes: .With a bit of luck you get a real nice dash with cool gauges, banjo steering wheel and maybe old leather seats.

Six Ball, chryslerfan55, Kume and 2 others like this.
  21. Gofannon

Gofannon

22. Kume

Kume

That is a lovely build. Wonder why he didn't go for a 2.5 liter or pathfinder. I have been collecting parts for another special/rod based on Riley 14/6 engine and running gear. Might be time to start a thread on that one if it is HAM friendly.

23. Kume

Kume

Riley Cars made in Coventry, England.

24. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Gday mate,

How's progress going? The weather is getting s lil better albiet a lil damp over here

25. Kume

Kume

Thanks for the interest Outback. Sadly not much achieved over the winter months. Wisteria is blooming outside garage so guess its time to get it back out on the front lawn and make some progress. New radiator made and fitted over winter - trying to find source of old radiator hose and fittings. Much indecision about dash and instruments - will post photo updates soon.

26. Kume

Kume

A year goes by like a instant when you get to a certain age. My roadster (Tinker) is finally running after 10 years ?, all 171 chevy ci's sounding fantastic and ready for the dirt track. The hop ups have been subtle but collectively impressive during initial testing with Oldsmobile 3 port head high compression pistons, lightened fly wheel, Twin period correct SU carbs etc. Credit to Ryan McDonald for rebuilding much of the drive train and
    I have optimistically entered it into the famous 'Jalopy Dust Up' down here in gods own, Jan 6 2024 https://www.facebook.com/jalopydustup/

Still have a lot to do in the next 4 weeks to get it track ready but it was created for this event so I hope this Gerber inspired build lives up to my REM expectations. Spent the weekend trying to sort the handbrake with limited success compromised by mashing 1927 chev brakes with the 1934 Riley knock on hubs - (my teens spent hand braking in bmc front wheel drives on country roads in poverty bay). Have posted a few pics taken today as my wife and I maneuvered it in and out of our garage to turn it around so I can work on its boot /trunk fuel tank installation. I am so looking forward to meeting up with other NZ Hambers esp Greg Stokes, JW and Woodbox in their amazing T roadsters who have inspired my build along with numerous Hamber US legends. 20231212_140731.jpg 20231212_140742.jpg 20231212_140756.jpg 20231212_141023.jpg 20231212_143046.jpg

hfh, chessterd5, bct and 28 others like this.
  27. This is awesome man! Well done in getting it done. Look forward to seeing you and the car at the Dust Up

Kume, Six Ball, 26 T Ford RPU and 2 others like this.
  28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Wow that is looking great! So glad the engine combo is working well!
    So stoked for you! :D

Kume, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That thing's bitchin'.

Kume, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  30. Martinbuilt

Martinbuilt

That is a great-looking machine.
    Lacy and fast.