Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Me to a T

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kume, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Heck two years and a ride in a blender. Glad you came out on the positive side and making progress.... way cool and looking good.:cool::) JW

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  2. bct

bct

Right on.

3. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

4. RussTee

RussTee

Project is looking good I will follow with interest have finally got my Rutherford head on the B motor running in the RPU have a chev conversion on a Tee motor in the roadster

5. Kume

Kume

Made a little progress before xmas. Steering box mount just about sorted and rear hartfords mounted. Also found out Langs adaptor plates for Model T wooden hubs also fit chev hubs. Am using the rear hubs off 1928 chev disk wheel which have the same offset as Model T wire wheel hubs so the rear end is just about sorted. 02-IMG_2766sc.jpg 20161223_100021.jpg 20161223_100400.jpg

Six Ball, brEad, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That looks great! Could post a photo of the back side of the front Hartford shock? I have a set just like them that I plan to put on a T. Best wishes for 2017! Bob

7. Kume

Kume

Thanks Bob
    I will take a pic.
    They are quite a heavy two bolt aluminium casting .

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I was planning this exact combo a few years back. I sold it all when I moved to Vermont, though. I'll be interested to see things progress!

9. Kume

Kume

Thanks for the interest Bigcheese. Progress is slow but sorting lots of minor issues. Shortened Model A steering column and keyed to fit early steering wheel. Boxed section of chassis for steering box. Thats about it but nearly ready to get chassis certified. Just acquired some original leather seats from a late 30s Hudson that should look good in the cockpit.
    Still to sort headers for three port olds head. Thinking of a torque tube lake pipe if I can make it look right beside radius rods.
    Kume

s1.jpg s2.jpg

Six Ball, Lil'Alb, Outback and 11 others like this.
  10. MrModelT

MrModelT

How the HELL did I miss this thread!!????

That looks FANTASTIC Kume! :D

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm just glad to see this build get a "bump".:)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  12. Kume

Kume

Thanks Clayton
    Progress is frustratingly slow but hope to have some updates next week.
    Kume

Six Ball, Stogy and MrModelT like this.
  13. That body looks familiar, did you get it off Trade Me a few years back? JW

14. Kume

Kume

Jw
    I sure as hell didnt find it under a macrocarpa tree.
    Kume

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Six Ball, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. I'd forgotten about this build, so it's nice to get caught up.
    I'll go hit the follow button, this is way to cool to miss the updates.

16. Kume

Kume

T
    Thanks Jeff
    Hopefully some updates next week.

17. Kume

Kume

A quick update after a little progress. Front end sorted including newly fabricated tie rod and steering completed (thanks Jodie). Just need to modify shock arm angles. Body on and ready to get chassis mods certified - cross fingers. First time it has rolled on four wheels and am loving the stance at the mo - may raise rear slightly. Original recipe changed somewhat having ditched the whippet rad and using standard T among other changes that will become apparent soon. Rear brakes nearly sorted - using 1928 chev disc wheel drums on the rear to fit model t wires but adapter plate a little thick so some work needed there.
    Looks like a few T builds going on in NZ at the moment. 20170804_121227.jpg 20170804_121301.jpg 20170804_121832.jpg 20170804_121845.jpg

Six Ball, Lil'Alb, chaddilac and 12 others like this.
  18. Wow! Looks kickass!

19. Love it lots, that has the look for sure. mmmmmT's in NZ. :cool::cool: JW

20. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Nice to get rolling. How far are you from having the engine run?
    Have you done anything about narrowing size of the pipes on the T rad?

21. Kume

Kume

Hi Andrew
    I am not sure about radiator yet. My first inclination is to reduce the size of the top tank (take it back flush with the rad core) as the chev has a reasonably efficient water pump and doesn't need the thermo syphon effect so much. Or get a new rad fabricated. Either way pipes will need to match chev motor.
    My motor is ready to go - just need to fab an inlet manifold for the twin SU carbs and headers for the three port olds head.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  22. Kume

Kume

I know of at least 4 steel builds going on in North Island at the moment. Assume lots of plastic ones as well but they dont count do they?

Six Ball, Outback, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. We can be Steel Snobs, the others don't need to count.:rolleyes:o_O JW

24. Anyone remember the saying, "glass is arse, steel is real".?
    There was a time when the only hot rodded Ts were mostly all glass down here, and I wished for more steel T bodied hot rods.
    Great to see more getting built.

25. These cars are simple good fun

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Six Ball, Stogy, Kume and 1 other person like this.
  26. RussTee

RussTee

early brass strongbergs are good carbs two on a homemade manifold like on my tee roadster go well and are about here in nz fitted on a lot of early cars

27. Kume

Kume

Yes I wasn't thinking of Strombergs - remind me of my dads triumph TC.
    I have a Riley 9 with twin SU's and just love the look of them. esp the early brass body ones.

Attached Files:

28. Kume

Kume

So a little progress with the T. Sometime ago I decided to french it. The inspiration is from the Montier Ts. So all accessories will be period french. E.g. Jaeger instruments, Marchal lights etc. Light position still needs some work - they will be closer together and lower I think. Closer look at the three port head shows completely different and more efficient internal inlet shape to chev heads. The rocker shaft pedestals are also much lower so moving them to accommodate 1 - 1.5 rockers should be straight forward. Some work to do on the T radiator top tank to make space for hose is underway. Am now going back through other T build threads to see how screen posts were chopped. I think just using the lower screen frame looks best so thats the next job.

20171013_100510.jpg small.jpg 20170927_113737.jpg

29. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

I’m looking forward to the rad modification.
    Have you got an exhaust manifold for that head?

30. Kume

Kume

Hard to believe it has been nearly 6 years since I started this thread and 2 years since I last looked at it. A few other projects had pushed this one to the side. Decided on some additional mods to the engine (see chev 4 thread). Also changed rear backing plates and hubs to take 1928 chev brakes and Model A wire wheels. Still deciding on the radiator. wanted something different from the usual model T or whippet look. Am tending towards the one shown in the pic below. rad.jpeg