Register now to get rid of these ads!

Me and My Dad's trip from L.A. to Detroit (Route 66) in my 63 Riviera

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRDDETROIT, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Great pix ! I lived in Pasadena & Hollywood back in the 60's, and made a Route 66 Trip back & forth from St. Louis.

My trip out to LA/Pasadena was with my Dad when I was heading out to go to school at the Pasadena Playhouse. The trip back was by myself to come home. In those days it was a "purpose driven" journey...that was the way you got to Calif., Route 66 was the main road to get you there.

I've wanted to do it again today, with a friend, for a long time. Just take our time, and enjoy what's left of the Mother Road before it vanishes altogether !

(You can read about some of my L.A./Pasadena exploits, and see some pix, at my personal WebSite: www.jonnieking.net Look for the Pasadena Playhouse section.)

Thanks again for sharing a great trip with your Dad and us !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

2. Thank you. Its something he has wanted to do for a very long time. I'm very lucky that I could do this for and with him. Both my parents havent been through good times and bad times and gave me and my brother a good life.

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

ROUTE 66 ,,,X-mas of '57-'58 ,,my folks took my sister and I ( I was 15 ) ,to Calafornia on vacation to go visit relitives ,,see the new Disney Land and watch Iowa play in the Rose Bowl ,,we drove in my Dads New '57 Chevy 210 two door hardtop ,from Iowa down Hi-Way 65 to Springfield , MO and hooked up with Route 66 ,,all the way to L A ,,
    X-Mas of '59 - '60 ,,we did it again ,,in my Dads new '59 Impale 4 door hardtop ,,
    Both times ,i hung out at Roths Shop ,,went n saw Barris Bros and Dean Jeffries' shops ,,saw more Kustoms and Hot Rods than i ever saw in the little books ,,
    trips i'll never forget ,,

4. bb1970

bb1970

You're a good man. Enjoy your dads company while you can. I wish I went on a trip like that with my old man when he was alive. I did get to drive to Las Vegas (from K.C.) with my Grand-dad when I turned 21. I learned more about the man than I ever knew. He was a hell of a guy. Lots of great stories.

5. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

To all-Here's the photos from my side of the car.It was a great trip with my son.It gave us lots of time to talk about everything while enjoying the old road.I recommend taking this trip soon as urban sprawl and time is taking some of the old flavor away in Missouri and Illinois.The West is probably safe for a while.

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/kool66/Route66 1Aug2010/

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Great pic's. Thats is a trip I would love to make some day...

It reminds me of a trip to to the NSRA Nationals in Oklahoma years ago when we stopped at a closed gas station in Missouri, just off of the main route where Route 66 travelled at one time. The older gentleman who was the owner of the gas station stated :

"You usetacould stop in my gas station then they changed the damn road". What a great fellow to talk with..... I can't remember his name, but I'll never forget Mr. Usetacould....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. thanks. We had a great time and met some really cool people along the way.