Register now to get rid of these ads!

Me and Grandpa: The 41 Chevy Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Feb 15, 2011.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

So it all starts with my dad telling me that he heard from a friend of his that there was this old car in a garage that the owner was wanting to move. Said he'd take $1800 for it. So my dad has the friend get the owner to send me a pic. I'm expecting it to not be much of a car considering the price. So Super Bowl Sunday I get this picture sent to my phone.

[​IMG]

Now I'll be honest with you, after seeing this picture I couldn't even tell you who played in the game I'm so excited. So I proceed to drive the half mile down the road to my Grandpas place and tell him to come look on the computer at this picture I have. He sees the car and I tell him the price. He's as speechless as I am. I explain to him that I havent got my tax return yet but it would be enough to cover it if he could loan it to me now. He jumps all over the idea. So I set up a time to go see it the following night. I can barely function at work because all I can think about is this car. 5:30 rolls around and I head up to look at the car. I'm in love!!!!! The owner tells me he bought it from an old man who's kids were fighting over it for the price he offered it to me for. He said he had owned it since the mid 90's and had only driven it a few times. He said it hadnt moved out of the garage in 3 or 4 years. So I tell him I'll take it. The weather was bad so we agreed on me picking it up the following Saturday.

A week that I thought would never end goes by and we head for the car. My dad, best buddy, and I load her up and bring her to Grandpas shop.

[​IMG]

We get her unloaded and brought inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grandpa and I spend all weekend checking the old girl over. We go through everything. We lube the cylinders and leave it sit over night.

During the day yesterday I drove by my Grandpas and saw the shop door open. I had no time to stop so I rolled on. Later in the day I called him to see if he had been working on the car and he said not really. I told him I would be by after work to continue.

When I arrive the truth comes out a little more. He tells me "Well I did relube the cylinders, and get some fuel in it and put some seafoam in. I adjusted the choke and looked over a few other things." Now this just thrills me to no end, he just can't stay away from it.

So we get the plugs back in and the battery hooked up. prime up the fuel system and let her spin. Nothing. Adjust the choke and try again. We have fire!! And alot of smoke from the lube. Shes running a little rough.

[​IMG]

We let her run a few minutes and Grandpa adjusts the carb. Now shes puring like a kitten. We did a few more things on her and then just kicked back and talked about our plans. Get the brakes up and throw some tires on it and hopefully this weekend I take my grandparents for ice cream.

My grandpa's 76 years old and I cant think of anything in the world that would make me happier than turning wrenches in the shop with him. I feel truely blessed to be able to do so.

Sorry for the long post but this thing means the world to me.....

2. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

Unreal very nice.
    Glad your having fun with Grandpa

Greg

3. Huckster59

Huckster59

congrats ,looks like you got a good deal and a good friend[grandpa].never knew my grandpa so cherish the moments.good luck

4. Nice story .Happy motoring,,,,,,,

5. adamshumard

adamshumard

My insurance agent said we could set up a policy with an agreed value. What would be a good amount to insure it for?

6. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

I'd put 10 grand or so on it anyway, it won't cost that much as an antique.

Nice Car

Got any more pics?

How solid are the floors etc?

Greg

7. adamshumard

adamshumard

the car is super solid. worst thing about it is the bumpers need rechromed.

8. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Great looking car, you are so lucky to still have your Grandad. Enjoy the time as much as you can.

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good story!!---I'm a great grampa, a little older than yours (78),----But had to show you my first car, also a '41 Chev.----Bought from a school teacher in 1948 for $500 bucks.
    I added the '41 Buick skirts a year later.

Have a great time restoring the '41 TUDOR with the "Old timer"---Tell him there's nothing like an old Chev. 6 cyl. with a split exhaust manifold & steel packed mufflers for nostalgic SOUND!!!---Just make sure to poke a hole in the blocked part to equalize the noise----Otherwise, you'll most likely break somebody's house windows when you cruise by, backing off in 2nd gear!!!------RRRRRAAAPPPPPPPPP!!!!-----------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

10. adamshumard

adamshumard

thats a slick car don

11. Great story! My 2nd car was my great uncle's old 41 chevy coupe...had a fresh black paint job and a rebuilt '57, 235 engine. Cost me $250!!! That was super cheap even in 1961....mom made my dad return the car and it broke my little 15 year old heart.

12. csimonds

csimonds

Man Adam, that is a great story! And the car is wicked nice!
    Chuck

13. adamshumard

adamshumard

You know, thinking about this today, I found a truth in life. Its not really about the cars at all..... Its about the friendship, the quality time, the expierience. Building the cars is just the foundation for building something truely beautiful..... the memories.

14. adamshumard

adamshumard

The grill, fender spears, hood ornament, and bumpers are all straight but need rechromed. What should I expect to pay? And wheres a good place to get them done?

15. Doctor Destroyer

Doctor Destroyer
    from Orange, CA

What a beautiful story! I totally got teary at the end. I hope you have many wonderful years with Grandpa and that gorgeous '41 Chevy! Thanks so much for sharing.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

awesome story. your grandpa sounds rad too.

congrats on the car.

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Way cool car and story Adam!

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love this story. I wish my Dad or Granddad had wanted to do something like that with me. Enjoy the journey!

19. 42 chevy

42 chevy

What a deal! I like the story also. I am named after my grandpa and would have loved to do that with him. You must be living right that is alot of car for the money.

20. adamshumard

adamshumard

any thoughts on the chrome?

21. radio_king

radio_king

22. adamshumard

adamshumard

been buyin from them for years. Great people.

23. aaggie

aaggie

Check out www.chevsofthe40s.com. They are great to deal with and have all of the parts you need to restore and repair your car. Prices are suprisingly good.

24. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Great car and even better story... as stated above, enjoy the time with your grandfather. Learn from someone who had the opportunity to work on cars like this the first time around. :D

25. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Sorry I can't help you out there on the chrome but what a fantastic story!! My jaw dropped when I read this one as I expect other HAMBERs did as well. Especially when I'm looking around here for '50s cars for sale in Maine for a bit higher prices in not nearly as nice a condition!

That's awesome though! Happy motoring!! This story is certainly one I would see in a kustom magazine stand today!

26. indianhead74

indianhead74

Great story, As a newish grampa I'm hoping my grandkids want to hang with the old man a little too. Thanks for sharing. Indy

27. Minor Problem

Minor Problem

Great story...congrats on a fine looking car.Ya gotta love Grandparents!!

28. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

I still can't get over what a nice car that is for 1800.00

AWESOME CAR :D

Take good care of her;)

Greg

29. Panama Red

Panama Red

Really great story. Thanx for sharing. Rolls are reversed in my family as I'm the grandpa and I just picked up a decently restored 41 2dr sedan last August. Can't wait to take my son and 2 yr old grandson for a ride once I install the warmed up 235 and open drive line. You better keep an eye over your shoulder. The cops will be comin' for you soon - you stole that car for $1800!!

30. adamshumard

adamshumard

Thanks for all the comments guys. Having it appraised tonight so I can get it insured. I am hoping that I can have it road worthy this weekend so I can make that promised sunday ice cream trip with my grand parents.

I always try to be the best man I can be and I think kharma came back around on this one. I still can't believe I got it for that kind of money.