Register now to get rid of these ads!

McPherson College Auto Shop Program needs the old car communities help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Jan 1, 2013.

1. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I have a son who was probably going to college to be a lawyer... but not now. His future fate is sealed.

2. 39Tudor

39Tudor

I have attended the CARS show in May the past 4 years. We enjoy seeing the students leading the tours of the facilities and seeing their projects. If you are in the area I highly recommend a visit and attend the show if you can.

When my father in law passed away, my wife and I were tasked with cleaning out his shop. We donated 30 years of Chiltons and Motors Repair Manuals to the schools technical library.

I sent in my donation yesterday along with my company's gift matching form.

This place is doing great things for our hobby and I try to support them as best I can.

3. Fenders

Fenders

I assume as a non-profit that McPherson and the auto shop program are 501(C)(3) organisations and that donations are tax-deductible, but found nothing on their websites about that...

would it not garner more contributions if the school and shop mentioned that in their requests for funds and donations?

Is the school a 501(C)(3) ?

4. early guy

early guy
    from Kansas

Thank you all for your comments and support.
    Yes, we are a 501(c)3 organization.
    Chris

5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

The Old Motor, McPherson College Fundraiser ends on friday and we just wanted to post this as a reminder, that there is still time to contribute and you can find more info and all the details of how to do so here.

So far our readers and others from the Ford Barn, the H.A.M.B. and the AACA forums have contributed about $2500 so far, along with the possibly some other direct equipment donations. According to Vice President of Auto Restoration Director, Amanda Gutierrez, the school is planing on adding the funds into their Red Wrench Club fund to do the following; “We’re purchasing a power hammer, a TIG welder, wiring up our dust collectors, and a few other things that we’re still determining”.

For a more information on the non-profit McPherson College Restoration Program go directly to the College here, you can read about the most recent fundraiser in the programs newsletter, which will be used to help students with housing and expenses while participating as interns out in the collector car world. You can also read an article written by Jim Spawn that was in The Restorer, the Model A Ford Club of America magazine, which will also give you a very good explanation of the Program.

Again thanks to all that have helped and just remember, that you can also donate to the program anytime in the future, in many different ways.

We will have a follow-up soon after the fundraiser is over.

[​IMG]

6. Would you be interested in recieving automotve magazines ?
    If so what type?
    We have many titles spannining the last 100 years of automotive journalism that we would like to find a home that can use them .

We have seen the brief tour of the schools library on CHASING CLASSIC CARS..

7. early guy

early guy
    from Kansas

paperdog-absolutely. We are always looking to add to our library. We are looking for most anything; manuals, brochures, magazines, etc. I'd be happy to talk to you more.
    Thanks,
    Chris Paulsen
    McPherson College

8. I stop by the school every now and then on my way back from road trips from Calif. back to my restoration shop in Lincoln, Nebraska it is a nice school and some amazing work with young enthusiast going on there. I'm trying to get them to acquire a couple of my new rotisseries the ROLLER HOOPS and of-course if I could afford to donate a couple I surely would but like the McPherson school. I to am a non profit operation, just not the 501 c3 kind, just the basic body/ restoration shop that dose more work than what we charge for? plus developing, Patenting and bringing a product to market all on your own will surly put you in the poor house! Also we train young hoodlums here at our shop as well and that consumes a lot of unpaid time! But we do it because they are the future of this vintage and classic car industry, and to keep it alive we have to keep them interested!

My new rotisserie is a great tool in the art of restoration and McPherson college defiantly should have a couple on hand to allow these future craftsmen to be most efficient with there work and allow the instructors to be very effective in teaching them! As in my shop the young guys that I train take to using this new system with full excitement! It is a great inspiration for them to cut weld fabricate brackets and mount up a classic car body up in a ROLLER HOOP rotisserie and then roll it over to expose the bottom side and be-able to work on it in a comfortable, safe and efficient manor! They love it! and it keeps them interested and better yet it attracts others to want to get involved. So bottom line is I have been in contact with Mc Pherson's Restoration department about purchasing a couple to add to there great operation and for them and their students to benefit from all that the ROLLER HOOP has to offer! So check out our website www.rollerhoop.com and see if we can't drum up enough to get them a couple of units, and i can also perhaps donate my time and effort to do a full set up and demo during there open house coming up this spring!

Just an Idea from a restoration shop owner who is always looking for a better way to keep this industry alive and thriving, at fifty years old I get more worried every day of old cars getting crushed! and young peoples interest drifting away from it.

Here are just a few pictures of a young craftsmen Curtis George and his work on restoring a 61 Comet for the lady who has been driving it since Nixon was in office, once the metal work was done I hosted a weekend work shop for anyone to join in on, proper body filler work & priming etc. Curtis shows his work to his brother while he was on leave they are both proud Americans!

If any interest to help out contact below.

Regards,

Doug Kielian
    Auto Kraft body and paint Inc.
    DSK Auto products LLC.
    712 west Cornhusker Hwy
    Lincoln, Nebraska 68521
    402 474 2344

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013