Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mcphails fairlane wrecked....totaled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Dec 5, 2011.

1. 1949*john

1949*john

i've fixed worse , how bad do you want to save it ? have you seen some of the 32 and 33 , 34 coupes some guys are building ?

not that bad , not that bad at all .

2. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'm glad it's getting fixed. i remember seeing it in Rod And Custom and thinking it was cool. But I got the check it out in person one day in Kansas City and it's a truly beautiful car and I'm sure it will be again.

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Totally fixable, but i will buy it from you for scrap prices

4. rld14

rld14

Juras,

Did that get picked up from Park Ridge? Friend of mine mentioned he saw an "Old Purple car" that had been smashed up on a trailer the other day and I immediately thought of your car.

Glad to see it's on the road to recovery!

5. juras

juras

kickass!!... thanks for the pic mick....
    };->

my 'puter's on a rag or something, i'm unable to 'quote' anyone's post in my reply or it shuts down.... bastard....

rld14 - yup, that was the fairlane on ben's trailer going to kansas... see, it gets noticed even smashed up on a trailer hehe....

geemann51 - ben did a great job haulin' it to ks.... he's a kool dude...

hitchiker - thumbs up on that... i'm not hoping for 90% of return or so but they gotta do much better than 15k for repairs...

dog dish dlx - the pictorials in the mags [r&c, et al.] were done well, but in person this car just glows and pics can't do it real justice.... btw, thanks for that earlier post re-grundy... i'm hoping they'll eventually do the right thing and no such actions will be neccessary but it meant a lot to me bro....

jeff's got the car at last so i can finally breathe easier.... hehe, now it's my turn to start getting better so i'm ready to jump in and drive it when it's done...
    jerzy....
    };->

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

7. juras

juras

none as of a few weeks ago, when i last spoke with jeff.... he had most parts at last and was ready to tear into it... i don't want to pester him much plus i'm dealing with some crappy spell and health on my end... i'll ring him sometime this week and if there's been anything significant done i'll post here at once....

i do know from jeff that a couple of separate dudes who dropped by his shop were interested in shooting the car with a pin up chica for a feature in some new mag and a video special or something... even despite its current shape hehe but i dont know any details.... i gave him the go-ahead of course for any such gigs as long as i'll get to see the result and there won't be any orca betties nor skanky crack whores spreading themselves upon the fairlane hehe...

thanks for asking and continued interest....
    };->

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Any updates on this one?

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

What he ^^^ said !!

10. exactly! if nothing else, at least show us the skanky dirtyleg he had sprawled out on it!:D

11. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

WOW...what a story! Waiting for an update now.

12. juras

juras

greetn's...

i'm amped about the ongoing interest in the ride here people... not much to report on progress yet unfortunately... don't want to speak on jeff's behalf and the dude's been very busy at his shop... i'll report whatever i feel is non-specific but factual in case i'd say something erroneous or wrong...

this past summer's heat made the working conditions on several simultaneous builts at his shop very tough and he struggled to keep up with all the work despite working long hours constantly... now, from the beginning, after the accident, i asked jeff to make sure that he does a thorough job on the rebuild, not just rush to ensure that i'll have the fairlane back asap... imo, the car has some solid cred and roots on account of mcphail's huge input into it as his personal dream ride and the talents/execution in its build contributed by jeff himself and other talented folks...
    i'm planning to keep and enjoy this ride for a very long time - in as great shape as possible - so i really want it rebuilt to its previous, solid standard... not a '2 year bodywork'....

yes i go nutty from not having this ride back, and having enjoyed it so little initially, so i'm really tweakin' about having it back in its pretty and road ready shape... jeff also senses that but at this point due to the extensive work it needs and inevitable delays resulting from it, i've asked him to consider the alternative of working on the car at his shop throughout the winter and have it finished by march or early april... due to being a crippled fuck in a wheelchair, i can't drive much during the winter anyway, when weather becomes inclement [snow, ice, salt], because i'm unable to push my 'chair in such conditions once i'm out of a car.... plus this is my first rod or kustom i wouldn't drive in salty conditions simply because it's too nice for me to destroy the tin/frame within a couple of years thusly...

as much as i hate garage queens and weekend/fair weather rodders, i can't bring myself to run this ride down like that... i've done it to plenty of my other classic/rodded wheels i've owned and had a blast drivin' them hard in even the worst weather 365/24/7 and few regrets about that but i also have never owned a one-off, high quality ride like this one until now so i have my '36 stude jalopy for all around 'badass driver' duty at present but i've only driven it twice since the accident in my fairlane anyway due to physical problems resulting from that accident... thus, i'm no longer able to transfer in/out of my chair into the stude without someone's help plus i now have to lean hard to the left [on the door] while i drive because my ribcage didn't heal correctly from the crash back in december and deformed my sitting posture... this position makes it hard to drive my stude... soon - hopefully - i'll have another kustom/rod for the daily beater role, without antique/qq plates to take over this duty from my ex-'68 cutlass, which i'll be able to drive daily and transfer into/out of on my own... or just have my stude modified to better fit my daily driver needs [i don't drive/own anything made after '69 or so]... the fairlane will be driven often and regularly, but unless i'll get caught in shitty weather, i won't drive it in heavy rain, snow/salt...

btw, i [and my stude which is garaged at my folks' home] just dodged the bullet yesterday with that megabitch of a storm deceptively named sandy and have seen the damage around where i live even to some cars that were garage parked and other property so given the choice of having the car being worked on and remaining in a warm, solidly built shop throughout the winter or here for the next few months, the former seems like a more sensible choice...
    it's nearly winter now and most 'in the know' [meteorologists] predict it will likely be a tough one so the fairlane would be parked more than driven anyway, until spring... hence, my alternative plan to have jeff take his time throughout the winter to build it back up as it should be intead of a rush job with inevitable corner cutting, etc...

haven't yet heard back from jeff re-this alternative rebuild plan over the slightly extended period but i'm fairly certain, he'll prefer it as well so he can do the same quality job on the rebuilding as he did with the initial construction of this ride...

meanwhile, the fairlane just bagged its 4th mag feature in a period of about 2years... and the rod/kustom mag [kansas based 'gears and gals' mag, issue #6] featured jeff's own galaxie in the same issue which makes it even kooler hehe...
    i'm very impressed with this magazine's high end photo and paper quality, the dude who shot the fairlane for the mag feature did a bang up job and donnie adams of 'g'n'g' did a ery kool short write up... however, i'm FAR less impressed with the mag's choice of errrr..... 'pin up' models in the few issues i've seen thus far so i'm very happy that my fairlane's pics ran sans any - ahem - 'models' draped over the car hehehe.... i generally avoid making public comments on the fairer sex' appearance but... man,, those chicks that i've seen used for that mag's previous features are friggin' fugly... at least for 'model/pin up' duty.... they might very well be attractive and lovely as hotrod partners, gfs, wives, but imo, the 'hotness' standards for their models of certain kustom/rod mags out there are highly questionable and suspect at the very least... vargas, frahm, elvgren [the latter is my personal fave] and the subsequent photo artists/models of the pinup/hot rod scene, have raised the bar very high initially to live up to but that's what pinup and hotrod art chicas are meant to be - a super sexy, erotic, hot fantasy babes, not a bloody next door homely lady decked out in hose, heels and 1/4" thick of make up paste and mascara, 3" false eyelashes and $3k worth of hair job or wig... that's my opinion anyway... some 'models' just.... shouldn''t be...
    };->

i'm pining for my fairlane more than a norwegian blue pines for the fiords but i'll just have to suck it up for a few more months... it'll make having it back even more intense.... i'll do my best to update the status of the ride, meanwhile, by all means - keep asking about it here if i don't do so for a while.... thanks...

anyway, here's a link to the magazine itself [i bought 4 copies of that issue hahhaha] and a couple of pics from the 'gears and gals' feature on the fairlane [the first pic didn't make the cut into the final feature that ran but i dig that open field photo]....
    as apparent on the pics, only the right side shots are featured for obvvious reasons hehe... i wonder btw if this might be the first mag feature ride shot while still severely damaged from an accident... but the angles hide the damage very well.... i suppose they hauled the fairlane on a trailer/flatbed to the field location....

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/427082

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi juras.Sorry to hear about your misfortune.Glad that to hear that you are on the mend slowly but surely.I`m sure that Jeff will have your ride back to you in as good a shape or better than it was.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. spiders web

spiders web

If your not going to fix it junk it my way. I'll even give you scrape value plus!!!

15. juras

juras

hmmm, how much "plus"?.... sounds tempting, it is a lot of work to rebuild this fairlane and i don't think i want to wait all this extra time for jeff to finish it after all... send me your offer to [email protected]

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

17. juras

juras

btw people, jeff is selling his kool galaxie... a multiple mag feature ride with pure midwest kustom pedigree for a price that will barely buy ya a ho-hum early 70s ride or a plebeian homemade billet/350 'street rod' in rough shape...

i don't think he'd be cross at me for a little off topic heads up:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742609

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_...ff-myers-custom-cars/jeff-myers-1963-galaxie/

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/0702rc_1963_ford_galaxie/viewall.html

18. k9racer

k9racer

I have seen cars way far worse than that have been brought back to life. In fact I have 2 {ot} at this time. I can show where they were wrecked and you will have a very hard time finding the repairs. It sucks the car was damaged but it can be repaired.

19. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

erg! i want progress just as much as you lol

20. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

sorry guys, been busy trying to get mylife and business in order, just had too many projects ,shows, and momma do's lately, but I have been working on some old projects trying to clean house, here are some updates on the fairlane. We are adding a/c and power steering as weel as fixing the wreck, and installing power door opener, and changing the way you get in the trunk. I've been off this car longer then i wanted but jerzey Is fine with me taking the winter to finish it and get it back to him this early spring, plus it will be better on the car then sitting out in that harsh nj. winter. I had to go to the top of iowa (3 miles ) form the border to get the parts to fix this car, so that all took time, but they were in nice shape. so far I have replaced door, made all the changes to it and replaced the quarter skin, andwhile the old qaurter was off I por -15 the back of new and inside body. I am working on recreating the wheel opening flare now and will be doing final body work soon. and getting it in primer.

Attached Files:

21. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

oh and the before

Attached Files:

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man that before picture , is heart breaking , glad to see you putting it back better than before ,

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Awesome ! I are you adding any more body mods or just restoring it?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jeff...

You are always T-H-E BEST !! It will look awesome...all over again !!!

Jonnie

25. McPhail

McPhail

nice work man......

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

That jack stand idea is pretty rad. Might be nothin strange for any of you body shop guys but ive never seen them. Quite clever and something i can deff do.

Cant wait to see this back in shape btw, one of my favorite kustoms of later years.

[​IMG]

28. lukey

lukey

Anything new on this one?

-LUKEY-

29. juras

juras

not sure... still 'in progress' in kansas... i'll let jeff take over this one if he gets around to read this...

30. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

painted the car tonight, it will soon be ready to go back home to jerzy..