Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures McMinnville Drags 1962

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

McMinnville Drags 1962

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Actually, a great little video with, like you said, not normally seen vehicles.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The last year McMinnville held drags on the old airstrip, was the year I got my license, 1966. So with my birthday being late in the fall I never made it to a drag race there. Always heard about it then, and later, and wished I could have seen a race. So nice to see this video.
    Here's a list of old Oregon dragstrips. Many on old airstrips.
    https://dragstriplist.com/oregon

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I lived in McMinnville from 61-67, 7th grade thru Hi-School, spent lots of Sundays at the strip. The Harley belonged to Walt Cunningham from Vancouver,Wa, and was featured in Hot Rod about that time. My memory tells me, it had a '74 engine and ran 122 MPH. The white Comp Coupe, was Bob Duedall from Albany, and my friend Jim Lindsay fully restored the car, and had Bob come up from California to celebrate. Here is a shot of Bob in the car 50 years later. More to come. IMG_2402.JPG

5. Raced my 60 Impala there many times, held my class (B stock) record till ARMY drafted me in early 63. Black with a Merle Beebe purple stripe.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The A/MR was Skeans and Pickering out of Vancouver,Wa, held the National Record in the early 60's. The yellow Crosley was powered a Blown Cadillac, and was from Washington as well, I only remember his first name was Don. Right at the end, there is a gold Dragster, a twin to the Dragmaster Dart, "The Dragmaster Renegade". Bill Remson's black Corvette, ran with and without a blower. Had previously belonged to Jack Frost, and later was raced by my old friend Nick Wheeling. Nick's Corvette.jpg . slo-poks.jpg

El Hueso and HEMI32 like this.
  7. Having been born and raised in northern Oregon I feel bad I never went to McMinnville or Woodburn. I did race at Madras tho

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rocky, I raced at Mac, with a Honda 50, a friend's brand new Sportster, and my '49 Olds, loved that place !

9. Now I don't feel too bad, Marty. I raced a totally stock 40 chevy tudor and later a 57 Pontiac with a 3 speed...also totally stock at that time. Later I swapped to a 389/Muncie 4 speed. 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg