Register now to get rid of these ads!

McLeod Hydraulic Throwout Bearing Trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vegas, Sep 25, 2010.

1. vegas

vegas

In my 29 coupe I am using a Wilcap adapter and flywheel along with a McLeod hydraulic T.O. bearing (since I thought these were pretty trouble free) to adapt an S-10 T5 to my long bellhouse hemi. Well, I finally got my car running (which was AWESOME) and took it on a couple of short drives up and down the road. At about 6 miles, the clutch quit working and lot of brake fluid blew out the bottom of the bellhousing. After the car sat overnight and cooled off, I got under it, and pulled the inspection cover, and had a friend operate the clutch from inside the car while watching. The clutch strangely is working again, but is seeping very slighly where the inner part of the TO bearing comes out of the outer part under pressure, but not blowing out this time. I set it all up as the directions said (.1-.125" from the pressure plate fingers), master cylinder pedal is set to stop just upon release of the clutch. Could it have gotten too hot inside of that bellhouse with only 1 small screened vent, and blown the seals? I used brake fluid, should I have used something else? Any suggestions would be great, as I don't want to pull my trans back out every weekend. I am really bummed that it seemed to work great, and then lasted only 6 miles. :( Any HAMB help will be appreciated!

2. Run a quick search. Lots of guys here have had problems with hyd throwout bearings. I got to help replace ONE for a guy on a rodrun (McLeod and a hemi)and said fuck that a few years ago

3. Just randome threads I found for you.

4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Unfortunately I have heard of plenty of problems also with the internal aftermarket hydraulic throw out. That is why I decided to go with a 62 chevy pickup outside slave cylinder on the passenger side. $35. Stock replacement parts off a production vehicle dont seem to have the same problems.

Ago

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

The only parts that should be hidden are those that don't have the alternative, that is visable and accessable.:D

6. Dzus

Dzus

I'm telling ya.....

7. vegas

vegas

I fully agree with this, but the design of the long bellhouse hemi block doesn't allow for a standard clutch fork. I have had problems with hydraulic clutches on almost every car I've ever had with one, so I definitely would have gone another route if I could have. I guess I'll try re-o-ringing the t.o. bearing, and re install it almost touching the clutch fingers, and go even closer on my pedal adjust ment margin...I just don't want to be pulling my trans on a regular basis. :mad:

8. vegas

vegas

Timing belts and hydraulic clutches are the work of Satan. -Dzus

I'm behind that statement!!

9. Are you using regular or silicone brake fluid? Are they compatible with the silicone?

10. vegas

vegas

I used regular brake fluid.