Register now to get rid of these ads!

History McKinstry photo collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickam82, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Lot of work Nick thanks for posting.. Awesome collection of timeless shots !!!

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The quality and quantity of these pics is unbelievable. Thank you so very much!

3. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Wow . . . simply WOW! Thanks for taking the time to post those awesome photos!

4. Good history lesson here................Thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding thread sir.Thanks.I think that the reason for the high quality of the photos is that he used a quality SLR camera,AND Kodachrome film.Just a guess though.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for taking the time to scan and load your views-I know from personal experience it can be a pain, but the knowledge shared and personal memories stirred are well worth the effort. Keep it up.

Chuck

7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Does anyone know anything about this car? Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Easily one of the highest quality group of photos here on the HAMB. The history documented here is immeasurable. A sincere thank you. The time you spent doing this is not unrecognized, the high quality of these photos is amazing and the captured history you have shared is appreciated by all. Thank you, sir.
    Rob.

Stogy, Speed Gems and loudbang like this.
  9. partsrivet

partsrivet

I believe this view is from the 66 Nationals. My buddy Jimmy and I watched this round from near the starting line with Ohio George going off against Jack Merkel . George's SOHC powered car was the fastest in the field and Jack needed a really good start to have a chance. The fans were on their feet as Merkel made a superb razor cut on the light and got out by several car lengths. The big SOHC almost caught him but couldn't quite get there, as seen in this shot. This is one of those memorable matches that always stick in your mind. THANKS for sharing!
    macs cars Picture 032.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    echo ed, Stogy and LowKat like this.
  10. delray57

delray57

This c/gasser belonged to Al Tschida in Minnesota. He had several of them and I am not sure if this was his first or his second. As I recall from the 37-42 Willys thread here on the HAMB, both of the cars still exist.

Stogy likes this.
  11. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

Thanks for taking the time to share the photos. They are incredible. Growing up in New England, I recognize some shots from Orange & Connecticut Dragway. The photos are so clear and color is so good, it really brings them to life. Great cars, great times. Thanks again.

12. partsrivet

partsrivet

Thanks!

13. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

These are great. Really clear and showing the cars racing as well as in the pits. Not as good as being there but for those of us still wrecking diapers at the time it's the next best thing.

14. 1929rats

1929rats

Best thread of the year! Thanks so much for taking the time to up-load and share!

15. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Stellar photos. Amazing detail. Many have said it already but thank you for your time and efforts in getting these photos up where we can all enjoy them.

16. nickam82

nickam82

Im glad everybody's enjoying these! I know I said "holy $***" out loud a few times the first time I looked at them :cool:

Stogy likes this.
  17. To those of you inquiring about Al Tschida...Al had a couple of coupes and also a '33 coupe. He ran very successfully, a dark green '41 4-dr as well (Straka-Tschida on the side). It was a gasser they got from Lutz & Lundberg. The one you have pictured was the coupe that won its class at the '64 Nats (at Indy). It has been apart for many years, but it is all there and located up near Duluth MN.
    His 2nd coupe went to California, and then came back to MN in the mid to late 70's, and changed hands a few times, and now belongs to a friend of mine who lives north of Stillwater MN. I took some pictures of it last fall...has some of the original old lace paint still on it. Al built a replica of the car you have pictured, about 3 years ago. It's beautiful...I'll see if I can post a picture of it (the same green color he liked so much. ) His '33 is still around the area too, somewhere near Forest Lake MN.
    Al was our local hero...he could shift a 4-speed so that it sounded like an automatic. Al is in his early 70's, and like many of us, feeling those aches and pains as we get older. Still a great guy!
    g-willys

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  18. Haven't figured out this new HAMB...kind of confusing to an old guy. Am trying to post Al Tschida's replica coupe, finished about 3 years ago.
    g-willys 092.jpg

Attached Files:

• 092.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
  19. loudbang

loudbang

How is this? Much easier to see.

[​IMG]

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This is one of the best collections of drag racing photos that I have ever seen.
    For all you guys that didn't get to witness the era of the early to mid 1960's racing, you need to study and savor each photo.
    This era is known as "the golden age" and for good reason. This was when innovation and brilliant ideas were put into place by regular guys in backyards and down at the local gas stations.
    This was before computers and before money ruined everything. THIS was racing.
    None of us knew at the time that this would be so short-lived.
    By the late 60's and into the 1970's everything changed and not for the better.
    By the late 1970's drag racing was gone as far as I'm concerned.
    If you missed these days, then study these photos and try to use your imagination as best you can.
    Because this is all gone and will not come back.
    These photos are pure gold and wonderfully preserved.
    THANK YOU for these.
    THESE were the "golden years" and everything since has been an embarrassing mockery.

1320 Fan, echo ed, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  21. partsrivet

partsrivet

I know it's been said before, but give yourself a pat on the back for posting these and BE SURE to thank Mac for all of us for shooting and sharing these SUPERB images.

Chuck

Stogy likes this.
  22. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Many of these photos are so good that I've had to stare at them for several moments to make sure they weren't a modern-day nostalgia race!

Stogy likes this.
  23. partsrivet

partsrivet

Al's wheels must have been up everytime he went for second. macs cars Picture 456  Tschida.jpg Tschida 1965.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mazooma: You're right. I never thought it would change...Gas Rhonda, Tommy Groves, all showed up at Fremont drags every Sunday...
    Although I appreciated it, I took it for granted. Hell, I knew most everybody...always knew I'd see 'em next week...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

gotta bring this back up...these are fabulous...history kiddies...history

Stogy and 3day like this.
  26. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Wow! The best picture thread I've ever seen. Thanks for posting them. HRD

loudbang likes this.
  27. 3day

3day
    from UK

Such brilliant pictures, cannot believe the quality of them, thanks for sharing

loudbang likes this.
  28. Fantastic pics and memories! Thanks

29. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

some of the best old pics ive ever seen.

30. chettar

chettar

Love all those 55 and 56 Chevy Gassers