Register now to get rid of these ads!

McCulloch Supercharger on a Mopar 230 flathead six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparMontana, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Has anybody out there every seen, installed, or tried a McCulloch V57 supercharger on a Dodge 230 L-head six?

I picked up a super rare 1950 Wayfarer Sport Roadster and want to give it some love without cutting anything up. I already have a '48 Plymouth with the typical hot rod stuff (EDGY head and cam, dual carbs, split exhaust, etc) so I want to do something different on the roadster. I just happen to have a blower off a Kaiser sitting on the shelf and got to thinking...

...thoughts?

2. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Why not? The old V57 aint gonna give very much extra, so its belived to be ok.....push the power as much as wanted....as long you dont get ignition knockin´, then it would last! check some post on VS57 or inliners.org , and you would possible find some answers!

3. I'm not looking for burnout costest horsepower, just something way different, dependable, roadworthy, and most importantly, something that doesn't require cutting up a rare car. I'm a big fan of forced induction, especially at 5000 ft altitude.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Put a Kaiser supercharger on another flathead six of roughly the same displacement, but in a lighter body? I think it should feel pretty peppy.

Semi-automatic trans in the Wayfarer? Or straight three-speed?

-Dave

5. I've thought about it on my 218. Love to see it done!

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm interested, sounds good to me, and it should give ya a pretty decent amount of boost too. Wasnt that the same supercharger on the 290 hp 312 t-birds too? If that is the case then it should have no problem pumping as much air as you want to put to the small cube 6.

Also if you have the bracketry for a kaiser, i bet it'd fetch some coin the the right person

7. mossback44

mossback44

I don't think that supercharger will work on your Dodge flathead. However, I just happen to be looking for a VS-57 to put on a Hupmobile 245 c.i. flathead and would be willing to take it off your hands! :D

Seriously, it sounds like a great idea to me. I'm following this thread and anxious to see if you decide to go ahead.

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well when Kaiser S/C ed the 228 cu in flat Continental L head 6. the went from 118 HP to 140. this was their attempt to compete with Olds and Cadillac's V8 in the upscale market.

The Conti's Bore and stroke are nearly identical to the 230 . Kaiser ran a 7.4 to 1 CR in 53/4 in that engine with the blower. If I remember my reading correctly I believe the top output was 8 lbs of boost. If you could realize ( and why not) the same % gain in the 230 Dodge motor, that should put you in the 130 HP area, which would make the old Dodge go down the road pretty good.

Shouldn't be hard to gin up the brackets needed, probably the hardest thing to source would be a dual groove pully to drive the S/C. I believe the forklift motors had dual pulleys so they are probably a few out there.

How would you handle the pressure at the carb? Build a box, or just try t do a blow through? I believe Kaiser used a hat ad ran the carb in the pressurized environment in side the shroud.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ive read in vintage drag racing articals that the s/c'd t-birds could get up to 12 lbs of boost, but that's undoubtly reworked and stupidly abused too. As for carbs, ive seen people pump air thru stock holley 4bbls without a box, and the '57 t-bird i belive did that too, i cant remember if they put a had on it or put it in a box,

I even remember an old artical that even had strombergs in a box, i dont suggest that though....

10. sololobo

sololobo

Sounds like a cool idea to make a rare bird stand out even more. I would love to see some pix of the obscure one, not many of these in exsistence. Rock on man, love your plan, ~sololobo~

11. wally55

wally55

I put the VS57 on a Ford 300 with two two barrels.Works like a million bucks.:D

12. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

A blower is a great idea. Any of these old engines with poor intake flow would love a little pressurized air. Thats why ford put them on tbirds, the y block heads flow so bad they couldnt keep up with the corvette small blocks. On a modern note, there was a guy at the Hunnert this year with a turbocharged mopar slant six. All homemade.

13. Any updates/pics on this very interesting issue?

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In my opinion, it is of no use to put a blower of any sort on any flathead Dodge product. If I was you I would stay far away from such a project and anybody who would do such a thing. You just can't expect much out of old Dodge engines.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  15. Kinky6

Kinky6

There is a little tongue in cheek going on w/ Mr. Fox; he has played around with some rather interesting OHV conversions for vintage Mopar flatheads over the years. And, yeah, a little forced air on an old flat six would perk it up some. K6

Jiminy likes this.
  16. Point taken,my apologies and deleted .

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You might notice that this post was made by one of the Montana Dodge Boys. Who hold several Bonneville records in V4F/BGR and such. With their blown Dodge Bros. four cylinder flathead. If anyone should be answering questions about blowers on flathead Dodge engines, these are the guys. I would have said the same thing when this post was current, but I didn't see it. But you got the right idea, IMHO. I think a blown Dodge six would be really cool and wounder if he ever did it. Or is that the blower that found it's way onto the race car.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  18. Kinky6

Kinky6

No worries! :cool: With some of these guys, ya have to sorta read between the lines a bit. :rolleyes:

19. Dean Troup

Dean Troup

A friend of mine had one on his 350 rat Rod. He used PVC pipe connected to the carb

Attached Files:

20. RickMur

RickMur

Hey Dean, don't go giving away my light weight supercharger secrets