Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest McCahill tests Grancor speed parts/ Andy Granatelli Mr. 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, May 2, 2021.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

ay granatellis shop.jpg they cal lme Mr 500.jpg 5 years or so ago I picked up a Grancor 3 carb intake at the Roadsters swap meet. So then I searched out a set of heads. Then I was shown a picture and told a story of Andy Granatelli with the Duesenberg powered 34 Ford Ulrich Roadster (later called Geronimo). All of these things piqued my interest in Mr. Granatelli. So when I heard he had written an autobiography, I had to seek out a copy. What an amazing story and amazing life! I recommend it to anyone.
    On a recent thread on the HAMB, someone mentioned an article where uncle Tom McCahill tests the Grancor speed equipment. So of course I had to find a copy of that, and am posting it here for your enjoyment.
    Grancor 3 carb intake.jpg
    Grancor Head.jpg
    McCahill tests Granco speed parts (1).jpg
    McCahill tests Granco speed parts (2).jpg
    McCahill tests Granco speed parts (3).jpg
    McCahill tests Granco speed parts (4).jpg
    McCahill tests Granco speed parts (5).jpg
    6.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 30 years ago, I was walking around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. As I walked by a small alcove (for lack of a better word), I looked over and saw a guy just sitting on a stool. I did a double take and saw that it was Andy Granatelli! We talked for a few minutes and he autographed my ticket stub. I still have it. Highlight of my trip...

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good read, Thanks for posting.

4. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Another American automotive genius, not afraid to try "out of the box" ideas. Thanks for an obscure story.

5. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for the story, it makes the greats even Greater!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Hemi Joel like this.
  6. 2935ford

2935ford

Cool story. Thanks.

My old '29 Roadster came by way of an ex employee of Andy's.

loudbang, dana barlow and Hemi Joel like this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What a great look at the Grancor speed shop, and the state of the art for Ford flatheads, 1950. I bet a lot of guys would be happy with a motor like that today. Thanks for posting this.

8. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

an old time Chicago racer and associate of Granatelli's told me years ago that "if they took everything out of that book that is bullshit it would be a very thin book" LOL

9. catdad49

catdad49

Hey, a lot of the greats embellished a bit, it’s called self promotion!

loudbang and Hemi Joel like this.
  10. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Granatelli at the ground breaking of his museum in Auburn Indiana.He must have been at least moderately well liked as the attendance looked like a Who's Who of automobile racing.

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Somebody should have told Tom that there is a reason why he got up to 350 lbs.! :) walking the dog.jpg

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read that several times over when I was 12 or 13 years old and found a stash of Mechanics illustrated magazines in a house my family was renting at the time.
    That photo of him with the lab running beside the car brings up remembering that he said that when you travel across the country with a dog you should take jugs of water from home so the dog drinks the same water it is used to rather than chancing strange water with them.
    The Story on the Ford is a good read, thanks for sharing it.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Keep in mind that Uncle Tom suffered a dislocated hip when a boy that left him with a permanent limp. Made it difficult and painful to walk any distance. He like to swim and ride a bicycle tho.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This article explains exactly why Eddie Edmunds was so successful in the fifties. He was not only a a speed equipment manufacturer, but had a bunch of shops on the west coast that were dedicated to helping ordinary folks make their cars perform better than the imported exotics. He was pretty successful at it too.

I am old enough to remember having a subscription to "Mechanics Illustrated" in the late fifties and reading every word "Uncle Tom" said. I will have to say that even then I was pretty much aware that he was the master of hyperbole and always took his opinions with a grain of salt.

Look at his statements : "as easy to start as the Queen Mary with a canoe paddle", and "Automobiles are becoming as utilitarian as bathtubs". Pure hype. At one point in the article, he claims they got 158 HP out of a flathead with minor mods. I know a few current experts who would disagree with this number.

He was entertaining, though.

15. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I had no idea. I guess I shouldn't have assumed he was just being lazy. My mistake.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

It wasn't as apparent in 1950, but as his writing style developed, he elevated the use of humorous similes to an art form that even Vincent Van Gogh could hear. I always got a kick out of that.

17. Novi's were no BS or those Studebaker records in the early 60's at Bonneville.

18. jaracer

jaracer

Great story, glad you posted it!

Hemi Joel and loudbang like this.
  19. aircap

aircap

Right! Andy knew his way to the finish line. Just because he had a flair for the bombastic he shouldn't be counted out.

Hemi Joel and loudbang like this.
  20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Andy's C/blown gas coupe record at Elmirage stood from 1984 until today, when David Frieberger finally upped it from 200 to 208 mph. 37 years is a no bs record!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The HP claims came from Granatelli, Uncle Tom just reported them. It might be interesting to plug the acceleration and speed figures into a modern computer program and see what HP they get.
    I have read everything I could find by McCahill and believe he was truthful and accurate, and not often mistaken. His speed and acceleration figures are as accurate as could be timed by stop watch. You have to discount the colorful language a bit, that is more a matter of style than substance.

stillrunners and Hemi Joel like this.