Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mayhem continues.. Resto of the 1965 Suburban escaped from California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifalcon, Dec 3, 2011.

1. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Okay.. So, here we go.. I haven't put any other pics up yet nor have I started to document this build as it's been starting.. Not so much a build as a 'dismantle' currently--but she'll eventually get going down the road again. What started as a hauler pulling back the '41 Ford Coupe from California for me has now itself turned into a project. Not that i didn't plan on prettying it up down the road--but I didn't plan on doing it right now. But--when the cracks in the head grew problematic--ceasing the lifeblood of Mayhem (the name the truck inherited during the treacherous driver back from California---), the engine had to come out. The front end came apart to make the engine removal process possible from my garage.. And--the trans had to come out due a terrible leak anyway.. And--so, why stop there??
    And, that brings us to where we are. The plan is to do a full-budget resto. The 292 and 4-speed will go back into Mayhem. However, the 292 will get a little breathing upgrade with some Clifford items once I re-seal the engine and install the new head. The engine will be painted back to the stock Chevy Blue- before installing. Once the engine and trans are all done-- I will be completely rebuilding the chassis. The rubber components in the chassis will all get replaced- and I'll put an appropriate hitch on the back after removing the old farmer-cobbled one that's back there now. I'll then blacken everything on the chassis after putting some lowering springs on it. I'll have to do something about the 12-bold rearend. I want to get rid of all the bullshit bracing and have it strengthened correctly. Or--find another one altogether. Once the frame is all done-- I'll complete all the metal bodywork (this will hopefully come together pretty quick). I'll be doing door skins, and outer rockers and doing some toe area repairs in the drivers corner. I will then have to fix the bottom of the fenders and beat on the hood. The biggest fix will be the forward roof area-- I'll have to cut and replace this area. But--after all that is done... I'll pick out a nice upholstery pattern for the seats-- and I'll get everything back together.
    This will be a slow build process--and should be fun. There will be no rush in it whatsoever..
    Oh--and final colors will be white over turquoise (seafoam green)..

the beginning... ughh..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cracks..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

front end all apart..
    [​IMG]

getting the body mounts all undone.. Gonna be interesting getting the body high enough to clear the chassis..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stay tuned...

2. Cool project! Love the 60-66 Chevy/GMC trucks.

Have you checked out www.67-72chevytrucks.com yet? Great truck website. There's lots of us 60-66 guys on there, and you might find the parts you're looking for, too.

3. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Yeah man--ive been to the site.. Poked around a little bit there and some other places.. Thanks for the tip though!

4. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Well.. Here's a quick update.. The TRANS is all done and put back together with new seals and fresh coat of aluminized paint. The engine is clean--and will be back together this week, god willing. I used the welder for the first time this week to repair one of the motor mount pedestals which had a stripped out nutsert--worked beautfifully.. Having an electrician over today or tomorrow to put in a couple of extra outlets in the garage.. I don't much like the idea of burning my house down with too many amps going through one measly little outlet!
    And--so I've been looking around for a 12-bolt rear end to replace the battered one in the suburban. And--here's what I ended up dragging home. (I sold one of my minibikes projects and it funded the procurement of all this rust). This is the front and rear setup from a '71 C10 which includes disk brakes and all around 5-Lug setup which will be replacing the 6-lug setup. I've got great spindles and even though the pictures look bad--good brakes on the front. I have to still beat the drums off of the rear axle--but that's all fun, right??
    The project moves.. slowly.. :)

(Before any of you jump on my hide.. I know this is NOT safe.. I was the only one in the garage risking my life and other stuff by getting the body off of the frame this way.. I WILL NOT be doing it like this again..)
    [​IMG]

here it is safely down on the ground..
    [​IMG]

Here is some new goodies from a '71 C10 to replace the drum and 6-lug setup on the Suburban.
    [​IMG]

After>>>Before
    (Lotsa junk just to get down to the spindles)
    [​IMG]

Replacement 12-bolt to swap with mine. Came from the same '71 C10
    [​IMG]

5. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Here we area on 01-21-12.. Engine is basically completely re-done. Gonna figure out a new way to arrange the garage and bring the chassis back inside I think...

[​IMG]

..and as it goes.. I think the 12-bolt that I bought above will be let go. I took the axles out and the bearing surfaces are pitted.. Not to mention the mount on the one side is completely rotted. So--I think I may just get the 6-lug axles re-drilled or get some replacement 5-lug axles for it..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. ...looks like good progress, keep us posted and good luck; the story continues...

7. squirrel

squirrel

The 70-newer rears are wider than the earlier ones, do some measuring. Five lugs/front disc brakes started in 71, rear suspension design changed to leafs in 73.

So it might be iffy finding 5 lug axles that fit your 66 rear, but you could probably find some from a 73-81 truck, and put them in the 71 housing, which should bolt into your truck. Fix the rotted mounting perch, you could take it off your old housing. Beware with the wider rear you can't run as wide of tires, if that's a concern.

Looking good, just a little more work and it'll be done :)

8. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Annnndddd...
    The rearend IS too wide.. Thanks Squirrel for pointing that out.. Dammit.. So--now I am going to see if I can get some new 5-lug axles for the original rearend. I now know to always carry a tape measure with me for comparison on this stuff. So, the rusty one is up for sale now.

9. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

So, here is the '65 Chevy cab that I got from Jackson, Wi for some rust repair parts. I will be using the front overhead area of the roof/windshield, and the toeboard areas, and upper drivers door opening area (where the vin plate is located) to repair the rust areas on the burb--maybe the rockers too.. I also got a left and right NOS rocker panel as well. There will obviously be alot of left over sheetmetal that I won't be using. Anyone need some?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. nadodave

nadodave

Hemifalcon-

Your project looks similar to mine - although you are a bit further along. Have you found a source for the body mounts? I have found some for the pickups, but am not sure they are the same.

11. In the back of my mind it seems like the pickup roof is different than the 'burb. I seem to remember somebody on the 67-72 forum was shortening a suburban to resemble a blazer and had a problem. The 70 rear end will fit that's what I have, it is 1 1/2" wider but it'll fit.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Suburban and panel roofs are a bit higher than a pickup roof. They always were.