Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAYDAY!!! HAMB'er needs help with O/T vehicle, 04 Malibu

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pir8Darryl, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Mods, I hope [very much so] that you can let this ride untill someone can help me. Thanks :D

2004 Chevy Malibu with the 4 cylinder engine.
    Looks like the timing chain has streched out enough to make it jump time. It's really sloppy, and I've checked everything else. Got spark, got fuel... but it's got no compression in any of the cylinders... When I hold my hand over the spark plug hole and spin the engine, there's absolutely no pressure, but there is suction... This leads me to believe the timing has jumped.

Also, I did pull the cam cover, and discovered the sloppy chain.

I need to know if this is an interferance engine... If it is, I need to pull the head, if not, a timing chain swap [Grrr! Hate FWD crap] will sufice.

Thanks guys :)

2. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

yep sounds like it jump time. just hope it hasn't bent any valves

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

That's what scares me. Doing this as a favor to a friend who's financially challenged, and trying to keep it as cheap as possible :cool:

4. badshifter

badshifter

What engine? 2.2, 2.4, 3.1? Most were not interference engines. You can always do a quick check, pull off valve cover and roll engine over till valves are closed on each cylinder. Pump air into spark plug hole and listen for air leaking at exhaust or intake. Or, if you have a ton of valve lash, most likely bent valves. Good luck!

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Good idea. My old compression tester had the provision to pump air into the cylinders, but my current one does not. I'll have a look at the lash... Guess I could jerry-rig something to get some air pressure into the holes.

Not looking forward to this. I'd much rather be working on something with real steel bumpers and 8 cylinders.

Thanks Badshifter :)

6. adamshumard

adamshumard

I don't have any knowledge to lend on this. But I think an ot tech sub forum would be a cool addition to the site to help everyone with their daily drivers. There is alot of knowledge here and it could help alot of us out.

7. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Another thing to look for would be a partly compressed valve spring, would mean the valve is bent and stuck open.

In my experance working at the Ford dealer, when a belt slips a tooth, even an interferance engine, normaly no engine damage is done. Its when u break a belt or chain that you have to start worrying about internal damage.

But like Badshifter said, a leakdown test is the way to know for sure.

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Ryan, did you hear that? Best suggestion I've heard in a long time!!!!! :D

Put it right up at the top under the FNG's intro forum. Great idea!

BTW, I've posted this on another forum, and I've had a couple PM's telling me that the 2.2 is an interfearance engine.

I'm gonna roll with Badshifters advice to find out just how deep the damage goes... Looks like my basic question has been answered. Unless someone can chime in with a difinative yes or no on the interfearance issue, I guess we can let this thread die.

Thanks a million guys!

9. buds56

buds56

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

This is just a wild guess but I'm betting it has a chain tensioner that uses oil pressure. A loose chain is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
    My vote is to keep the HAMB just like it is, there are specialty forums for any kind of vehicle you can imagine.

11. Dzus

Dzus

The Ecotec's early on had problems with tensioners and chains. The good news is the yards are full of garden variety L61 2.2's, so in worse-case scenario you ought to be able to pick up a serviceable long block for a couple hundred bucks.

12. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

yup, check the tensioner. it's actually adjustable/resettable. push it in and turn it.

13. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Thanks for the input, but the car has been repaired for about a week now. All the valves were trashed.
    Got a good replacement head at the pull-a-part, and a new timing set.
    $312 and two afternoons worth of work, and it's running like a champ!

Much thanks to everyone who helped :cool:

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You could ask this on the Garage Journal site, it has a free parking category. Not sure it would work out so well here, they seem to get inundated with DIY guys searching the web for just any answer. Might ruin the HAMB as we know it. regarding the sub classification for threads.

15. pitman

pitman

Good to learn what it took to make things right again! Thanks for the follow up.

16. Noland

Noland

glad to see you got it taken care of, glad to hear you didint have a 2.4