Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maybe O/T? 8n ford same as banger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglydog56, Jan 23, 2013.

1. uglydog56

uglydog56

I picked up a 1949 8N Ford tractor with a loader to putter around the yard with, clear brush, etc. It has a flathead 4 cylinder with an updraft carb and the distributor on the front. Is this thing in any way similar to a banger motor? Can I swap any parts, or ever better, hop up the engine some, just to say I did? I know they used to swap v8-60's into them, and there's somewhere that sells kits to put small block chevy's in them, but I'd just like to mess with this 4 banger a little. Thanks.

2. Carter

Carter

I don't believe that engine has anything in common with Ford Model A or B engines.

3. ^^^^^ Uhhh, no. Continental never built engines for Ford.^^^^^^^^

4. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

It is it's own beast. It is half a Mercury flathead same bore&stroke same valves guides and springs. You will have to make your own speed parts.

D

5. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Sounds like a challenge. Counterweight crank in the N? Stronger in there?

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

I personally can't tell about the bangers, but the conversion for the V8 was a Funk conversion. They had them for 6cyl and V8s. With a V8 60 with the pipes turned straight up they sound awesome!

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

It's not a Continental, that was in the very similar Fergusen tractor, a TO-20 Fergusen is in a class with the 9N-2N-8N Fords. A very popular hop-up in the old days for the 8N (around 20hp stock) was to leave the sleeves out and use the Merc flathead pistons for a big-bore kit. As the sleeves were only .040 thick, you got an .080 over, enough to feel it- I plowed snow for many years with a big-bore 8N that had a Wagner loader on it as a kid in NY. I now have a sweet little '50 8N with 1050 hrs on it, Proofmeter and a Howard Reducer transmission

9. Bigjake

Bigjake

I raked hay for many summers as a kid with a 1948 Massey-Fergusen. I want to say it was OHV.

10. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I always thought the heads were interchangeable but I guess I was wrong.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Tiny engine, I think 122 CI, and physically much smaller than an A-B, so really nothing crosses over.

12. belair

belair

They were.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

WRONG
    All you have to do is look at it and you will see that every piece looks like Ford made it... and they did. There is a thread on the HAMb with an original 40/41 pickup with the original 4 cylinder engine that looks just like the tractor engine
    I have a 41 9N and a 43 2N tractors

14. SwampYankee

SwampYankee
    from Dudley MA

Want more power, get a Ferguson TO-30 with the Continental. Better touch on the hydraulics too. After FoMoCo tried to screw him over Harry Ferguson took his three-point hitch, hydraulics, knowledge of implements design, and all the improvement ideas he had that the bean counters wouldn't let him implement and using some of the same common aftermarket parts started his TO/TE series of tractors. My dad and I are currently working on a full restoration of one of the three TO-30s he owns. Seriously though, If you want to get more fun out of your 8/9N look around for a Sherman auxilliary transmission that was avaliable as an option back in the day. They come in a number of step-up/step-down and combination ratios. I used to love driving my dad's '55 Fergie between landscaping jobs with the york rake on the back. Buzzing down the road with only rear brakes (mechanical) with the front wheels bouncing off the ground and no rear suspension or steering dampers made driving some of the rat rods they build today seem sedate.:eek:

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Correctamundo- The NAA model came with OHV's starting in '53, and the '53 models were called the Golden Jubilee, as it was the 50th Anniversary- had it in the front emblem above the grille. Later it became the 600 series. The little Fergie was almost identical to the 8N, and had the OHV Continental engine. I'm working on my neighbor's TO-35 right now.

16. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Very accurate post- and the other option was the Howard Reducer, built by Howard who built a great rototiller, but the little Ford travelled too fast for the tiller to work, so they built.the trans to make the package work- my 8N has one, and you can walk circles around it in low-low

18. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

19. uglydog56

uglydog56