Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods May Bang-Er thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, May 1, 2010.

1. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

sweet look-in ride corn boy... have fun with the carbs are you running the stock cam?

2. Looks sooooooo bitchen! Glad she went to a good home...and I want a ride :D

3. It was a Model A hoarder. 35ish cars and tons of parts. I showed up way late as I didn
    t want to be tempted with another project. Bought some odds and ends including the B. I don't really need it...anyone out there that does :D

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Chris, I NEED a B motor. PM me if you're serious.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

That looks swell, Corn Boy. A very similar mix of parts to what I'm eventually gonna have. Looks like a T frame with A axles? Are those 19-inch wheels?

I notice a lack of a suicide perch. Does this mean that fenders may eventually be in the works?

-Dave

6. Exactly what I was pondering Dave. I'd just reached the point of deciding that my fendered roadster was going to be a T body on an A chassis, and not A running gear on a T chassis - and now....

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Personally, I find it depends on the look one wants for the car. To me, when one has a Model T body, the original frame says ‘30s-early ‘40s, whereas a Model A frame says post-WWII, and a Deuce frame says 1960s. This doesn’t count Bucket Ts, of course. I’ve yet to see one of those equipped with a banger anyway.

-Dave

8. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Corn Boy, that looks awesome! Have fun.

9. GARY?

GARY?

Thanks for the compliments fellas, means alot!
    I'm pretty sure the cam has a touring grind.
    19 inchers.
    I don't plan on running fenders. (hadn't really thought about 'em, now???)
    Used a repop A front crossmember up front on modified (Z'd) T rails, which screwd me on using a stock T radiator. I'll never do that again.

cheers,

10. Bodger45

Bodger45

I love the look of 19'' A wheels with no fenders. Looks great.

11. 21stud

21stud
    from California

Need help with this garage sale find: Appears to be a Model A/B tach drive. Does anyone recognize the manufacture of the drive. ?It's brass. Does fit in A/B stock dist mounting. Cannot recognize the drive for the dist or mag on top.

Attached Files:

12. GARY?

GARY?

Awesome find . Don't know anything about it though.

13. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

Hi Fro,
    I don't want to alarm you but did you use the dimensions stated in the January 2006 S0SS magazine? Or did you use the corrected dimensions?
    In the Jan. issue it stated that you had to cut the inside of the flywheel to 5.735R but this is to much!!!:eek: You can only machine it to 5.3125R as stated in the note he put in the following magazine!!!! Here are pics of the mag and the note (I don't have a scanner so I took pictures of them).
    I hope you cut it to the correct dimensions. I used the correct dimensions exept I did not machine it to use a V8 clutch, I still use the stock one.:)

Good luck,

Eddy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

15. Got another banger brethren to add to all of us yesterday afternoon. I will let him tell the story. Paging Trad27 paging Trad27...............-Weeks

16. Bodger45

Bodger45

I'd sure bring like to bring my RPU motor fund to Bell Auto Parts in 1949! I'm trying to figure out my new scanner. Later TK

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
  17. trad27

trad27

Hey all, thought I would do a little intro here seeing as I got my first banger today. I traded my T bucket for this pickup. It is mostly stock just A motor with diamond head with juice brakes in the rear only, and some goofy Z someone did in the rear. It is a driver I just have to get the water pump on and I am going to go through the brakes and the rear Z before putting any miles on it. I am on the fience about keeping the juice and putting backing plates on the front or a local model A restorer and weeks here on the HAMB said to just convert it back to mechanical. Who here still have mech. brakes? How do they stop? thanks[​IMG]

18. trad27

trad27

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Some late twenties Nashes used a hybrid brake system.

-Dave

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      189.9 KB
      Views:
    • b2.jpg
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      382.9 KB
      Views:
    • b3.jpg
      b3.jpg
      File size:
      405.7 KB
      Views:
  21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

1922 Ames bodied Ford Speedster, with a very nice set of wire wheels.

Attached Files:

22. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Nice looking truck.

I am using 1946/48 brakes on my car with a 1969 Chev dual master cylinder. Works great.

If you decide to revert to the original mechanical brakes I would strongly reccomend, Flathead Teds Brake floater conversion. They work nearly as well as the hydraulics.

23. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Dam $40 bucks for a cyclone head! I just saw one at a swap meet for $495! I guess prices have gone up over the years haha

24. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Robert Roofs solution to broken crankshafts in Ford racing cars. He inserted two bulk heads into the crankcase after machining an area to hold them. These became the base of bearing's 2 & 4 on a custom made five main crankshaft.

You can also see the plumbing added for pressure oiling, the cut down flywheel and the transmission with reverse drum removed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  25. noboD

noboD

Will we see your U-Tube this summer, Rich?

26. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

Yes sir, I got the update but thanks for the thought.

27. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

:)I'm glad you had the correct dimensions!!!! Have fun with banger!!!

Eddy :D

28. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

TRAD 27, nice looking truck. I still have the mech. brakes. Keep them adjusted and they work fine. Good luck with your new ride.

29. ebtm3

ebtm3

I'm with Timberbeast, on the mater of mechanical brakes and Flat Head Ted's floaters.

My '30 Tudor Ford still has mechanical's and I see no reason to change.

Using '32 brakes on the front spindles helps, as they are one inch larger in diameter. as does changing the stock steel drums to the aftermarket cast iron ones. The '32's were cast iron stock.

I have '32 fronts, with floaters, and stock A rear brakes- never saw a reason to tear into the rears to put the floaters on the rear.

Herb Kephart

30. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hey Herb... have you ever posted pics of your 32 bakes on a model A. If not could you:D
    thanks Bill