Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Great Shop Weather***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2021.

1. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

possibly putting the picture up may help you LOL -i`m old and its late here bibby.PNG

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you looked at a Woods or Lovejoy 'Jaw' type coupling? Should do the trick I'd think

Old Dawg and trikejunkie like this.
  3. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

There is no significant torque being transmitted to drive the magneto. The 1.5 million inch pounds shown above is impressive... but probably a tad bit more than required...?

The early Matco mag drives for the T’s used a short length of 1” ID rubber hose and clamp to provide an infinitely adjustable drive coupling. I’ll see if I can dig up a pic...

trikejunkie likes this.
  4. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It appears to be made out of wood....maybe a cord

Jet96 likes this.
  6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

7. Is roughly 200 a decent price for one of these?

8. I checked out Woods and have previously looked at Lovejoy couplers. McMaster Carr has the lovejoy ones for cheap, but they wouldnt allow for a change in timing right?

9. Seems those are a bit overkill for my application! Just looking for something simple

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'll admit that there is a lot that I don't know about your application set up or mag you intend to run.
    I would think that the final timing would be set by rotating the mag in relation to the shaft, not the driven shaft in relation to the drive. If I visualize it correctly, you should be able to rotate the coupling 90 degrees for static timing if it is a two ear, 60 degrees if it is a 3 ear....
    The other variable is if you have a flat on the shaft(s) or keyway placed in relation to the drive....and then what terminal you pick for plug wire number one on the mag....
    Seems like there is a lot of flexibility with this style of coupling, like not keying or placing a flat on a shaft and rotating the coupling half for placement prior to tightening the set screws....I would think this is all true to an extent, even for the one you depicted

11. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I thought it might be , but if you go on to their site they may have other styles - we used a "spider coupling" which had three pawls on each side and a 6 sided rubber insert .I will try and find out the name of them .

12. ultimately you will want something with a non-keyed and clamped assembly.
    you will need to have ability to adjust timing down to 1 degree accuracy.
    since the mag typically runs at crank speed (on side drives) that is probably adequate.
    backlash could start issues with multi piece couplers such as lovejoy and other designs, you might look into machined servo type couplers. no backlash and machined with clamping options.
    J

13. I'll be honest, I'm new to magnetos. I believe the FM J mags were originally 2 tooth, but it seems that's been removed. Here's what I'm working with. Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.48.24 AM.png

14. Found some servo type couplers, going to do some research on them!

15. Retson,
    the mags of this style I have worked with are crankshaft speed. Usually there is a window or indicator for #1 firing, if crank speed type, it will take two revolutions of the shaft to make #1 come up again.
    now, on to the gear drive, if the gear driving the mag is small, same as crankshaft gear, you are running crankshaft speed. If the gear is the same as the cam gear, it is cam speed.
    trust me, there have been a many different versions of this over the last 90 years.
    wait until you see the governors and oil pumps that have been made, not to mention water pumps too.

BTW, the mag looks like it may had an impulse on it, no worries.

John

Retson the Racer likes this.
  16. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

That’s a typical “Bosch” type mag. Many brands made interchangeable units for many applications, but were all based on standard dimensions. There were even conventional distributor units that were driven off the same base.

Here is a pic of my ‘ol 27 roadster engine with the Matco mag drive. And yes, I know you can’t see sh*t in this pic. You can just barely see the mag between the oil breather and the fan hub. Drive coupling was 1” radiator hose as stated before
    8CD92C60-2CD5-4204-8D40-D8EFEFBA148D.jpeg

And here’s a couple standard mag mount dizzy drives. One standard ignition
    D7B755E2-1609-438A-9FD0-B59824A2F106.jpeg

And one for twin spark
    BFE570E1-4813-43A0-AF61-DBEDB89EC2A8.jpeg

Jet96 and Carter like this.
  17. railcarmover

railcarmover

Done.

Attached Files:

winduptoy likes this.
  18. I’ll go ahead and check the drive gear and see which size it is! I get it Friday in the mail!

What would previously having the impulse on it affect it in this application?

Sorry for my nativity, I’m very new to mags.

19. Thanks for those photos! Love what you’re doing with the Winfield carbs! Hope we get some updates soon!!

20. No need to apologize, we were all there at one time, some of us forget and have to start over...
    You will not need an impulse, it was a device for aircraft that helped start the engine. It is a speed sensitive retard and spring ahead for hand cranking the engine.
    Since you will not have a mechanical advance, more than likely you will set the timing to run, generally 28-30 degrees.
    This will make starting a little tricky. A tip from a good friend was to leave mag in off position, hit the starter and once rotating, flip the mag to run. Also, if you are not familiar with a "P" lead on the mag, you ground it to stop.

J

winduptoy likes this.
  21. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

Retson - Restoration Supply in Escondido sells an adjustable mag coupler that allows adjustments without disassembling anything, but it's not cheap.
    I'm looking for a Mallory model J or K 4 cylinder s-l500.jpg cap and rotor for a circa 1933 Mallory magneto replacement.

Old Dawg likes this.
  22. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Good call Mike,
    Here is the hub available thru restoration supply. It is nicely made with worm gear adjustment. I almost put one in front of the Pierce Arrow dizzy shown above... but went another way. Note that center bore is only rough machined...

54AA6929-F8FF-4B05-BF81-E6DB601F1F57.png
    https://restorationstuff.com/shop/#fb0=5

GuyW and winduptoy like this.
  23. ranch13 (2018_02_11 18_51_06 UTC).jpg ranch8 (2017_12_27 02_23_16 UTC).jpg ranch7 (2017_06_30 03_13_08 UTC).jpg FAST2013-6 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg FAST2021.jpeg It's On! The F.A.S.T. Santa Margarita Ranch Time Trials are going to be "A Spectator Event" ! Registration of you and your car is $60 at the gate. If you pre-register it is $50 All other individuals (including crew and spectators) will be charged a an additional $10 each.

Friday the 25th of June the village of Santa Margarita will have their "Cruise Night" for "Pre-74" cars (I think that's the right age; I might be wrong).

As yet there is NO overnight RV parking or camping on "The Ranch" itself!

Jet96 and BeaverMatt like this.
  24. Welp, I've been having fun! If everything works out, I might have a few of these made out of aluminum! untitled.png

Jet96, brjnelson and Dustyp489 like this.
  25. kippmw

kippmw
    from Aurora, CO

My dad bought this early, cast iron, manual/centrifugal advance Mallory, Model C 11 some years ago. This is one of the first Mallorys made for the Model A by my understanding, around 1929. My dad rebuilt it, even had a new shaft and bushings made for it, but we could never run it reliably because the unique cap was cracked. My dad looked and never found another. I've looked and didn't find anything...until today. I went to Bert's Model A here in Denver and dug through random distributor parts and found what I thought was hen's teeth. Excited to try it out finally.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jet96, Binger and murf 32 like this.
  26. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

One like this

27. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

I have an c 11 and B the c is complete could not get the idle correct. The b is missing parts I worry to send picture ( keep getting errors

28. noboD

noboD

Has anyone tried to fix a cracked cap? Was it successful? Sure seems to me you should be able to when you can't find a good one.

29. So what do I need to hook an exhaust to the header? I am not opposed too running an open pipe to the back

Retson the Racer likes this.
  30. What about an exhaust clamp? Might be better attaching something to it, opposed to welding on it.