Register now to get rid of these ads!

May 2011 Banger Meet Spring has sprung now drive'm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, May 1, 2011.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I broke a main leaf once in the 35 pick-up and had the choice of running in the door of Joe Jost's bar (oldest in Long Beach) or Fisherman's Hardware

Somehow adrenlin prevailed and I managed to stop at the curb!

Would have made a great photo opp. :cool:

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The number 29 aircraft if real is one piloted by Roscoe Turner in the 1937 Thompson Trophy race at Vleveland he finished 3 in the race, completing 20 laps of the 10 mile course in 47:16.9 at a average speed of 253.80 The winer did 46:42.5 256.91 mph

Turner won the 38 and 39 races averaging 282 and 283 mph .

The actual plane is retired on disply in Indianapolis.

http://www.airracinghistory.freeola.com/aircraft/Laird%20Turner%20Meteor.htm

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I've seen that done to a lot of T springs, but this is the first A spring I've seen. I've heard them called "dropped leaf".

I'm not a fan of this method I think reversed Eyes are better. Especialy on e front.

6. RussTee

RussTee

New front plate or sidedrive.... As you may know I am planning as part of my rebuild to fit a Rutherford overhead to my motor traditionally they ran a sidedrive which I have but here in New Zealand we drive on the right hand side. Big problems with clearing steering box and headers recently Patric Gary posted some pictures of a very clever front plate he manufactures neat looking job which answers many of my problems and will enable me to run a electronic type dizzy [Early Nisson] which I swear by as well as a water pump and possibly a front drive oil pump so I have ordered one and Pat is finishing it now What do you guys think trad or rad let me know ?

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I was thinking of doing it to my T spring but I didn't have a good pic of a rear spring. I love the look but had know info good or bad.

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I've seen them mostly on the rear of T speedsters. Probably ok for light dudy like that. I wouldn't do it to the front spring. IMHO

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Charlie Yapp is making these now. I have one and they are first rate:

[​IMG]

I think it would look good considering your options. Side drive mags aren't very feasible on the street. You still have to deal with a water pump. You could use a T water pump mounted to the inlet side of the block like this:

[​IMG]

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here's some photos..... Seems some folks jist don't understand what is here and that the motor is in Europe....

This is the short block that came out of my wife's Miller. We are going to a five main set up. This is the reason we're selling it

I am offering it here before putting it out for general sale

Attached Files:

11. RussTee

RussTee

Dan check out BHT8BALLs pics page 6 last months banger meet

12. RussTee

RussTee

Bluto know any cheap way of getting that out here to N.Z. nice setup [dreaming again]

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sure come visit and take it home in your luggage.

No dreaming please :D

I will help but I'm not a shiping agent.

I suspect this will go to one of our Banger guys in UK or Europe.

14. RussTee

RussTee

Would love to visit but suspect I would get lost in drooling over your other toys I would get Miss Jilly to sneak that Hal into the bottom of her suitcase as you know a womans suitcase is bottomless and their bags are never weighed yeah right.

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Not selling the HAL parts

16. RussTee

RussTee

Thats why we would have to pinch them. That must be the ultimate banger toy it would probably make me give up on street motors it would be a pity to build that as a street motor but imagine the looks or would it be just us banger nuts who would realize and like what it is?

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

HAL's have their problems including abuse by previous owners. Generally they have cylinder head cracks. We've a ton of welding in ours. Valves and ports are just too damn big..... AND remember every time you heat weld and cool you run the risk of further cracking.

But it does look cool............

Attached Files:

18. RussTee

RussTee

yes I guess that is the case with all old speed equipment but even sitting still it is one great looking motor I will never forget walking into the motor museum in Sacramento and seeing several Hals and hidden in the corner was A.J.Foyts 32 comp coupe he had built as a 17 year old fantastic

19. Back to the Model "A" torque question. The beam torque wrench was developed in the late 20's early 30's. Finally patented in 1938. This according to thread on the Ford Barn Model "A" forum this AM.

20. ebtm3

ebtm3

Good link, Jimsky!
    I have messed with vacuum gages quite a bit in the past, but usually end up having to "average" the reading due to needle flutter. I have read all the things that this is supposed to indicate, but have even show up on a brand new factory built motor.

And whats this about me being a not so young kid? I'm only 75--I still want every thing that I see (some females included), act stupid on occasion and enjoy watching the Roadrunner and Wiley--it's just that the performance is slightly (HA!) down---

Herbie

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Herb...... if the needle flutters your not doing it right. the neddle shouldbe rock steady unless you've some radical cam in the car. Or some other condition that reduced idle vacuum numbers

22. RussTee

RussTee

how many check their front springs as pointed out in this case there would be little room for the spring to work however with many older springs the leaves have worn themselves into the leaf below also making it hard for the spring to work.It use to be the fashion to put teflon between leaves but i see most banger owners dont how ever a good clean up with the grinder or replacement of worn springs will do wonders to the ride of your car

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have had my leaf springs semi-gloss black Teflon coated for many years. Reasemble 'em with grease and no one would guess. On long high speed events the springs don't heat up and their rate remains the same... then you can tune the suspension easier. Really helps when you've one way acting shocks.

Even a spring with a rough surface will slide easy ..... like two blocks of ice.

The price isn't high and it just lasts forever

24. RussTee

RussTee

Great idea Bluto even from the factory many springs had a sharp leading edge either end it always pays to check them and take the edge off if you have too. I always like the look of tapered rounded ends on springs but maybe I am just picky

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

26. RandyLP

RandyLP

Picked up a Parts car for my Coupster Project.. Its not a coupe but I was missing motor mounts throttle linkages and a guy can always use a spare tranny and rear end..

Attached Files:

27. RandyLP

RandyLP

Front view This is a 30, 31 style correct??

Attached Files:

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Rust and wood rot are found in all years :D

29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Just wondering - Can a AA 4 speed be run in a passenger car frame?

I know you need a AA bellhousing, but what else is needed if in fact it can be done?
    Can you use a V8 torque tube?

Do-able?

30. ebtm3

ebtm3

The question is not "can it be done (yes)" but "why would you want to"?

First gear is totally unusable in a car and second and third are wider spaced than in the car box. When the AA was designed, overloading was the expected way of life. My dad used to brag about what a great truck his early 20's 1 1/2 ton International was, because he could haul 7 ton of steel sheet back to his shop from the railroad siding. When you used a truck this way, you had to have a first gear that at best gave a slow walking speed. The "1 1/2 ton" Ford only had 40 HP remember, to pull what might be 5 tons of truck and load up a 1 in 8 grade. You have never heard a transmission scream, until you have driven a AA under those conditions.

Bad idea-- think T5--PM Crazydaddyo

Herb