Register now to get rid of these ads!

Max bore on 331 HEMI?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANewBeat, Mar 4, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one also and was told the same thing. Under-bored block based on a 354 casting for continual service life. But who knows, really. Could have been a coincidence or it could have been a whole array of other reasons. Researched this forever and never got a real solid answer.

2. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Thank You.

The basis for the question in regards to building a 6:71 blower motor. I detest thin wall blocks because of:

1) Cylinder wall distortion
    2) Over heating issues
    3) Fragile
    4) Not condusive to blowers

Thank you for the "W" 331 theory.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha! Yeah, I think you'll find even a moderately over-bored earchy Chrysler could handle some boost from forced induction with the right provisions. If in doubt, sonic check and see what you learn.

4. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Well there may be a chance that If two cylinders are messed up, chances are the rest are no better. Fresh bores fresh pistons rings good ring seal = Great running engine Sometimes you may be further ahead to spend more now than alot later. Plus nothing worst than a motor that smokes and uses oil .Ask lots of questions. Good luck

5. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

One problem that the old hemis had were the wire rings used to hold the wrist pins in place. They would come undone and start scoring the cylinder wall. If not taken care of right away, it can cut pretty deep into the cylinder. I use a good internal snap ring on mine. Bill

6. George

George

My W block has '55 331 casting number for a car & has the car timing cover bolt pattern.

7. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

This thread is full of good info. it should be added to the Hemi tech archives.

8. 73RR

73RR

I am a believer in the "W" block theory, and a big believer in sonic checking cylinder walls. Obviously, I have not had the opportunity to check every 392 block made, but every one we have checked has had some core shift issues so we try to avoid cutting any more than absolutely necessary, especially when a blower is planned. Thin walls make excess heat.
    If you are not hung-up on the '392' label then a truck or W block will also make a mighty fine blown street engine. If you need/want more inches you can stuff a 392 crank in a 331-354 block.

Gary

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A comment and a question. First, I thought I read where '57 392 blocks were significantly better than '58 blocks because the latter were redesigned as "thinwall" castings. Second, since a 392 is a raised block, and the others aren't, what does it take to put the 392 crank in the smaller block? Different rods or pistons? I would think that there would be some special parts involved, and could get even more expensive than it already is.:eek:

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Also not conducive to Nitro.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  11. I have done a few at 060. Makes a 340 roughly. I suspect those old blocks could take a pretty good bore job.

12. 73RR

73RR

We have never noted any differences between 57 and 58 blocks, with either the 'claimed to be better' A-1 markings or the HH-1 marks. There certainly could have been changes but unless you have a pile of each to compare it is difficult to know for sure.

As for the crank swap, the mains as well as the counter weights get turned down to look like the 354. Then, if you use a 383-400 con rod the stock 354 piston is raised 0.014" in the hole. You will also need 8 Federal Mogul pin bushings: pn 4-67314Y. Stock bore = 381 ci, 0.060 bore = 392.
    Another option would be to offset grind the rod journals and pull a con rod out of a catalogue to fit the new dimensions.

13. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

There is no difference in the blocks. Markings like A-1 merely tell where the block was cast. Bill

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds like too much expense and work for me when I already have a good runner. A punch to 354 seems just about right, given I need pistons. I did the '54 331 in my avatar 18 years ago and it was $6500 then; I don't even want to think about it would cost these days.:D

15. George

George

Most of us know that. He was commenting on some of the rumors. Still no facts about the W blocks.

16. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Did a 392 0.120 over once it never gave us a problem. 416 CI.

17. 73RR

73RR

I would suggest keeping the bore job to the minimum required to clean it up. The additional inches will not give you gobs of additional power. Truly, your best bet is to spend the extra $300 and buy 10:1 forgings.
    As to cost, $6500 will build a very nice Hemi today.

18. Powerflite

Powerflite

I had always thought the "W" on the block denoted that it is a Windsor motor, or because it was cast in the city of Windsor. I say that because I have a "W" on my '56 331 Windsor motor. There were 3 flavors of Windsor motor, '55 301, '56 331, and '57-'58 354. I haven't looked at my '57 Windsor to see if it has a "W" cast on it. But...I also have a 354 marine engine from '58 (I think) that also has a "W" cast on it.

19. I had Ernie Hashim do my engine work on my long bell housing 331. He found me 2 sets of used 354 pistons and bored my block. 331 is 3 13/16", 354 is 3 15/16" so a 1/8" bore does the trick. Been running the engine for 20 years so must be ok!

20. George

George

No, as far as where cast, that is a mistake in the book. CWC foundry is in Muskegon, Michigan. Makes cam shafts today.

21. 73RR

73RR

... the Saratoga also used that block....;)

If anyone has definitive information on the 'W' marking I'd love to read all about it. All we really know is that the W block was used for the Spitfire engine. I have never seen a W with Hemi-style pushrod holes....and again, if someone has a photo of such.....
    As to the Marine with a W, remember that MaMopar did not waste any parts and in '58 the Hemi was on it way out the door.