Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maverick/Granada 8" rear into shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

here i come with more shoebox questions.... i've seen mention of using the Maverick/Granada 8" rear axle in Shoebox Fords and i'm wondering if they're a bolt-in replacement as far as spring pads/u-bolts are concerned... i can see good reason for wanting more easily replaced parts!
    so, do the spring pads and backing plates measure out the same?

2. dcwest32

dcwest32

The Maverick in the one to use, the Granada is wider...

3. 62rebel

62rebel

it seems that i might be robbing parts off my Falcon before i sell it, to put on the '51, then. the 8" i have in it came from a '76 Maverick. any way to use Maverick calipers and discs on a Shoe?

4. I think the maverick front susp is basically the same as the Granada, so it should work for the same swaps as Granada fits. Can someone confirm this?

As for the rear, the Maverick is about 56.5 inches wide at wheel mounting surface; and the Granada is about 58.5 inches. I have heard the Maverick is the best fit for the shoebox Fords.

5. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

I used a maverick in rear in my 50 just have to push the springs in about a 1/4 inch and it bolts right in . i had a early bronco 9" in it orig. but my steel bubble skirts wouldnt clear the tires at the rear would have worked fine without skirts the maverick 8" solved the clearance issue.Also if anyone is looking for a 8" posi I bought one off ebay[ I just googled 8" ford posi for sale] Its a 9"track lock machined down to fit the 8" ,billet hat ,american made bearings installed ,clutches pre loaded to the weight of your ride all for $380 shipped to your door .

6. customrod48

customrod48

I put a maverick in my 50, with skirts, was a bolt-in project

7. Old Dude

Old Dude

Maverick, 5 lug, if you can find them.? I used to buy them up over 20 years ago, as so many people used them. The 8.8 Granada, is almost 3 / 4" wider.
    Another to use is the '55 to '59 Ford 9 " it is 57 " Wide.
    '71-'77 Maverick 8" 56 1/2 " Wide. * '71 - '74 V/8 Mav. * All '75 to 77 6 *'s 5 Lug. They are 57 " wide.
    Hope this helps you.
    Old Dude

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The later Maverick/Mustang/Granada spring pads are located one inch wider than the '49-'51 Fords, so they don't "bolt in" without putting the spring shackles and bushings in a bind. :(

9. cbillelder

cbillelder

For what it's worth, I found out that Maverick brake drums are much more expensive than Granada ones and they are narrower (1 3/4" vs 2" as I recall). I ended up putting Granada drums and backing plate assemblies on the Maverick rear end in my '28 pickup. They bolt right on.