Register now to get rid of these ads!

mating old and new...s10 t5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tr12, Mar 21, 2010.

1. tr12

tr12

what are my options on mating a t5 out of an s10 to a 283 from '66 ? i searched and nothing came up...i just need ideas on a clutch and if the tranny uses the same bellhuosing pattern as other older transmissions...what did you guys do???

2. Snarl

Snarl

Chevy T5's before '93 have the standard Chevy bolt pattern and 4 11/16" center hole.
    If using one from an S10, you will need to shorten the bearing retainer 1" and shorten the tip of the input shaft about 3/8-1/2". Run a 1/2" drill bit through the bolt holes on the transmission. The shaft is 14 splines. If you are using an 11" clutch, source one from a mid 80's Astro van. If 10 1/2", you will need an aftermarket or custom made one as there was never an application for a 14 spline 10 1/2" clutch. I believe Jegs and Summit carry them, just for reference.

Also, the speedo on the S10 versions is either cable driven or electric and you can't swap them without changing the tailhousing, so get the right one first. If you end up with an electric one and want to use a cable driven speedo, there is an adapter available for about $150.

And yes, this stuff has been covered many times...

3. bct

bct

search iron duke T5 ...i did a tech article using a piece of a V6 bell housing as a spacer ....