Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods master cylinder won't relieve pressure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wreckfixer, May 31, 2021.

1. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

I have a 57 Mercury. replaced the master cyl, all the wheel cyl. and rubber hoses. bled the system everything seemed fine. I drove the car around town and before I could get home the brakes where all but locked up. I broke the line loose at the master relieved the pressure and it happened again. any suggestions? All stock single port mc, manual brakes.

2. squirrel

squirrel

you need free play at the pushrod, so the piston can move all the way back to uncover the relief hole.

Do you have free play? or is the pushrod tight when the pedal is released?

3. speedshifter

speedshifter

Make sure the push rod that pushes on the mast cyl piston has a little free play when the brakes are not applied. Greg

mrspeedyt and olscrounger like this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

5. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Proper return spring on pedal?

6. jaracer

jaracer

I agree with everyone about having free play in the pedal. That's the first thing to check.

Does it have power brakes? I had a Lincoln that was really hard on brakes. I could only get 10k miles before it needed a reline. One day at a friend's house while sharing a few brews, I noticed the brake lights come on on the Lincoln. Turns out that the booster would slightly apply the brakes from time to time. Replaced it and never relined the brakes again for the last 7 or 8 years I had it.

7. squirrel

squirrel

that's not the problem here

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As Jim and a couple of others said, if the push rod is pushing the piston in even slightly it covers the compensating port and the fluid cannot return to the reservoir.

I've seen it a couple of times when replacing the master cylinder the hole for the push rod in the replacement master cylinder's piston is slightly shallower than the one in the old one was. Brake master cylinder diagram yellow fluid.jpg

mrspeedyt likes this.
  9. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Thanks for the help! I swapped the the plunger from old to new and that was the problem. Bam within 10 minutes you guys answered my question.

mrspeedyt, Truck64, F-ONE and 3 others like this.