Register now to get rid of these ads!

Master Cylinder Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bumpercarkid, Sep 9, 2012.

1. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

This came up in conversation while sitting around at a car show this weekend. I will explain and ask as best as possible but please correct me if anything is not correct. Please and thank you!

So I know there is different sized pistons in the master cylinder and different sized pistons in the disc brake calipers as well as 1 and 2 piston calipers. It seems that a big truck would need more braking pressure to stop it compared to say a small roadster, correct?

- Do you need a bigger bored piston in the master cylinder for a 1 ton dually compared to a small passenger car for more pressure?

- Orrrr is the same bore master cylinder work for most vehicles and the calipers piston size and number of pistons make up the difference in braking pressure depending on application?

I thank everyone in advance for their help. And also hope that all made sense. Thanks!

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I use normally a Corvette M/C and never had any issue's with any hot rods.

I know Ford put out a bulletin, because of spongy brakes on their F250 and bigger Super Duty line, The stock bore was too small. Many parts stores didnt get the update.