Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Massive Road Trip - Hamb-er Meet 'n Greet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Well, the truck is coming along well enough that I'm fairly sure we'll be headed to Alaska in August. My friend Tom and I leave Detroit on the 16th, then head west to Seattle, then north to Alaska. I would love to meet as many HAMBers as possible on the way! (And I kinda want a support network, as the truck is untested...)

Planning stopovers in or near Minneapolis, MN, and Billings, MT. I'm interested in shops we could cruise through, or events anyone knows about close to the route, which will likely be mostly highway.

Let me know what's up!

Mike

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  2. Good luck with your travels and keep that camera handy. HRP

Boryca likes this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm jealous! I'd love to road trip to Alaska. Keep the shiny side up and please keep us updated.

Boryca and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Good on ya for jumping in and driving it! To bad I am the opposite direction than what you are heading.
    my garage is always open to help out a stranded hot rodder.
    I am surprised there is not a HAMB member assist network map or something (maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet)
    On one of the motorcycle forums I am on there is a map of people willing to help out stranded members (tow off the side of the highway, bring you a gallon of gas, use of a garage and tools, etc.)
    Keep us posted of your progress with pictures and what not...
    Chappy

5. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Now that you mention it Chappy, I feel like I have seen that around here somewhere... I'll have to do some digging!

6. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Man, I love a good road trip!

Going to be a bit cramped in that cab though. How many miles do you plan to roll per day? Personally, I'd try to stay on all the two lanes rather than freeway but you may have time constraints preventing that.

Can't make any recommendations for hot rod stops as I am a bit south of your route (northern NV, south of Reno). Good luck with the trip and make sure you do a trip report here with lots of photos!

Boryca likes this.
  7. I'm in the Chicago suburbs, if you need anything I can help.

8. Can you post your route? Sounds like I 94/90 maybe?

9. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

We've been thinking that too! We're two guys both over 6 feet with some extra padding... but the seat is freshly redone, so that will help. Planning about 800 miles per day on the way out there, so two-lanes are mostly going to be quick jaunts to see stuff I think. Might change though, we have an extra day built into our timeline for mishaps.

Thanks a mil! I'll start my list and put you on it. :)

Yeah, pretty much 94/90 all the way out. 94 to Billings, then 90 after that to Seattle. From Seattle to Alaska we're in a rally, so the route is up to the organizers. On the way back we're coming through Canada, but that route is still up in the air.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am in Mound, Mn about 20 miles off 94 just west of Minneapolis. good luck on your trip

Boryca likes this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

I always take my Fellow Pages with me.

12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I'm guessing that's a list of the "fellows?" I'm still developing my copy. :D

13. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I am in Vancouver, Wa if you need anything.

Boryca likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The fellow pages is a list of people across the country that can help. It is an NSRA thing

Boryca likes this.
  15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thanks Chavez!

Learning new things every day over here. :)

16. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Did you make this trip? Is there a thread of it?

17. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

There's a few updates in my build thread (in signature below), but long story short, nope. :( We made it to Rockford, Illinois, which would normally be about a 5-6 hour drive, in 14+ hours. Determined there that our mechanical malfunctions were enough that we weren't going to make tech inspection in Seattle in time, so bowed out and came home. Trying again in 2020 for the February rally.

18. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Well, that is unfortunate. Hope you get things straightened out and make it next year!