Register now to get rid of these ads!

Massachusetts Checking in. Need advice!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by BenLeBlanc, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hello there. I am up here in Massachusetts an I am 19 years old. Currently I attend UMass Lowell as a Sophomore. I have rebuilt my truck with almost everything; brake lines, rotors, shocks, audio, etc. Past summer I rebuilt a 1982 Kawasaki 305 motorcycle that hadn't run in five years. I have always wanted a classic car to restore.

Right now I am looking at ford model A sedans. I really like the look of the chopped and dropped, but of course I wouldn't bite off that much for my first project. However, I would still really like that body style even though I love muscle cars such as the chevelle and javelin.

So, I have been searching the net for about three years now, since I was 16, for a project car to work on. Right now, I would rather build than buy of course, so I can work with any price below 3500 for a starter. Of course if a deal were to arise I could pony up a little more, but I would rather build than buy.

Anyways, I joined this forum to learn more than I currently know, and to gain tips and tricks. What would you suggest for a kid like me? Thanks!!!

2. DC43

DC43

Good start with a proper introduction!
    As for the rest?
    Search the build threads for the types of cars you are truly interested in building, not just the brand, either, the TYPE, as in "traditional", mild or radical custom, etc.
    Do your homework, and learn from other's trials and tribulations! This is a forum for folks who truly love the hobby and lifestyle that is "the car culture", so you have made a great start!
    Remember this, most of all-
    Ask respectfully, respond respectfully, and most of all, the only stupid question, is the one not asked!
    Welcome to a whole new set of horizons, and prepare to expand your world, young man, as you are about to embark on an adventure that will take you places you could have scarcely imagined, and meet folks whom you will forge lifelong friendships with!

3. Thanks for the welcoming. I guess that I would really enjoy a mild custom, as I kinda like the idea of a hopped up four cylinder, or a cool flathead 8. Nevertheless, I guess I will be hanging around these forums now, and I hope to learn a good deal. I hope to find my own project soon.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Welcome from Woburn!

Start reading the hell out of the forum here. And search for build threads that match the idea you've got cooking.

A good book that gets referenced a lot here is sometimes referred to as 'The Tardell Book,' How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod. It's a good read and an excellent primer to frame what you'll find here on the HAMB.

How are your fabrication skills? I've got a T on A roller project I'm about to cut loose. I'll PM you some pics. I haven't assembled it fully yet.

As for project cars locally, @BOSTONCAMARO & I keep an eye out constantly. Right now the prices for good A's are pretty strong, at least twice your budget in New England. There are some T's around, but they're far from complete projects.

6. Actually looking at an Apache long ex right now in mid nh. Rebuilt 283 but auto grand swapped in. No rust Cali truck for 3k. Hopefully will get something going soon.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well if you decide you still want to build an open wheel Hot Rod, I sent you a couple good leads within reasonable distance for what they are and the pricing. Either way you go, there's guys who know their stuff here on the HAMB that'll be able to give you guidance... and many, many opinions.

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

9. My first weld! Miller flux core!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's about the nicest flux core weld I've seen lately! Good job!

Miller is good stuff!