Register now to get rid of these ads!

History MAS racing mn out of business

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

[​IMG]

2. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

[​IMG]

3. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

[​IMG]

4. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

5. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

yeah it really sucks that they went out of business... it sucks even more that the went out owing the warehouse I work at more money than most shops spend in a year... :rolleyes:

7. FuelFC

FuelFC

MAS has been in and out of business about 4 or 5 times in the last 30 years. Like chasing around after your transmission parts from Custom Al over on the east side of St Paul. I'm in business, I'm out of business, I'm in, out, in.... Business intercourse of sorts I guess.

Sad too. MAS at one time 35 years ago was worth going to or ordering from.

hmmm...they caught the last train for the coast...

8. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Is there any where else out there besides speedway to get the true old school parts like they always carried????

9. butch27

butch27

Yes: Ron Pope at "rpm".

10. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Yea I didn't know that and I know him he's not far from me. I'll give him a call.

11. Yankee John

Yankee John

Very old post, I know..... I remember buying numerous parts for my 72 AMX, including their distintive orange colored traction bars, from the shop when it was on Hennipen Ave. And I bought a dropped axle kit from them when they were in a place in Little Canada. The thing that I remember most, Is that SOHC 427 T-bucket they had on display in the showroom! To this day, that is my favorite engine of all time!! By the way... The company that currently owns the old molds for the fiberglass parts for MAS is Cromwell Molding Co. , In Paynesville Mn. They still do T-bucket bodies and t-bucket body parts on request, for bargain prices. They also have a lot of the old moulds, but are unsure what a lot of them are for. Their phone number is 1-320-243-4965. Just an FWI. This company can still make a lot of the old MAS fiberglass parts, Just an FYI, John

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Rudi Kramp

Rudi Kramp

Also a very old post, yeah. I am also sorry to hear about them having gone out of business, and the passing away of Gary Kohn (RIP).
    I am by Cape Town, South Africa. I knew Gary Kohn in the 1980's. I was still at High School then, and in Port Elizabeth. I contacted the business, as I wanted to get some interesting looking merchandise, and told them various things about South Africa. Gary Kohn responded, and was friendly and very good to me. I have good memories of him. He sent me many items, especially books and magazines.
    I sent him a few items. I was going to send him various items, but didn't have much money then, and never got around to it. Once I sent him a few magazines, but the envelope was bust open that side. He never said if any magazines were still in it. I would have sent them again.
    I once watched that movie 'That was then, this is now'. The one scene, I'm sure, showed that business.
    I was searching the internet now for the possibility of that business, and if he was still around. I knew these might not be the case, as it was 30 years ago. I could have then maybe ordered merchandise from the business, and sent him, or someone he knew, items. That is in the unlikely event that both were still around.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  13. Danvander

Danvander

Does anyone have any old MAS catalogs they would part with?

14. titus

titus

I used to have a catalog around here but haven't seen it in ages.

heres a couple pics of the T body i bought from them in 1994 when i was 12, i save up and bought the body and bed. so me and my dad started building it as a father son project, we worked on it on and off till his work wouldnt let us work on it after hours, it got put away for a couple years and then a buddy is St Paul offered up his garage so we drug it all there and got it almost running and driving then i had to find a new place to work on it so me and a buddy rented a garage and i got it roadworthy there.

Im still sad about MAS, to think of what the company used to be and what it got widdled down to, i bought stuff here and there from them over the years and nearer the end the service wasnt the best, had i known what i know now i probably would have tried to buy the business and make it a go....

11 001-3.jpg 7todk 001-3.jpg

15. F-head

F-head

So cool Jeff.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the early 70's I bought a drag link kit and hairpin steering arm for my T bucket from them. Had to wait for several weeks for the guy who made them get back from an extended vacation.
    I had planned to buy a glass body from them but found a steel body. I was living about 170 miles from their shop so it would have been pretty easy to run up in my pickup and get a glass body.

High test 63 and 1933_willys_77 like this.
  17. gtokid70

gtokid70

Found this folded up in a 1960 custom craft little pages book.

Attached Files:

18. 32percenter

32percenter

I will take a look, I may have an old MAS catalog