Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maryland Stock Car Racing Reunion 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jend300, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Jend300

Jend300
    from Maryland

Well the 5th Annual Reunion is in the history books. And what a success it was. Over 200 attendees and more race cars then we have ever had. Thanks to the following for bringing their race cars: Butch Kable for the number 90 modified '39 Ford coupe, Bucky Guilfoy for his #30 '39 Ford Modified, The Lindsey Family for their #11 '37 Ford modified coupe, Pee Wee Pobletts for his #46 Pontiac supermodified, Rick Mendelson for his #78 Sprint Car, Fred Krickbaum with his Pen Mar modified coupe , Junior Tauber for his #115 '39 Ford Sportsman coupe, and Paul Hoffman's PenMar modified sedan.

Drivers attending this year were: Bobby Ballentine, David Ballentine Roy Lee Hendrick, Bobby Wilcher,, George Lorden, Rusty Bristow, Elmer Couch, Bucky Guilfoy, Pee Wee Pobletts, Rick Mendelson, Carter Ayres, Ace Canupp, Johnny Meeker, Johnny Mayola, John Brousard, Junior Tauber, Mike Tauber, Ken Festerman, Johnny Dodd Jr., Danny Woolford, Ed Drury, Denny Bonebrake, Buckly Rees, Bernie West, Mike Heath, Fred Krickbaum, Wes Troup, Butch Kable, Ron Rowles, Chuck Talbert, Paul Hoffman. And I am sure I have left out a few.

For more Photos, see Album called Maryland Stock Car Racing Reunion 2011
    [​IMG]

2. Great stuff. Thanks for posting it..Love those vintage race cars......Don.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Could this be the same Pee Wee that ran a 40ish Ford coupe at Lanham Speedway in the 50s? He'd have to be in his 80s-90s now. I was a kid but that name stuck in my young mind back then. One of my earliest race car memories. Pee Wee was above the door on the roof of a 38-40 coupe. Obviously I was impressed.

4. Any other Maryland folks have any stories or pictures from area tracks like Beltsville, Lanham, Ritchie, Marlboro, Dorsey or others they could share?

5. Jend300

Jend300
    from Maryland

tommy,
    That would be the same Pee Wee Pobletts from Randallstown, Md. At Lanham I know he drove Johnny's Used Cars #89 and Bradshaw's #K9 coupes.
    The car above was an original he drove in the early 60's in Central Pa. Today his son races it in Vintage Stock Car events

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Started going to the races at the Hagerstown Speedway in 1960 when I was 9 years old. Lived less than 2 miles away so I was always there and lived through the evolution that took place over the next half century +. The speedway is still alive and strong today.

7. Jend300

Jend300
    from Maryland

Some additional photos from the Reunion.

[​IMG]

8. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

In the mid-50's, my dad used to take me to races in Westport. It was an old baseball stadium in west Baltimore. Good times....

9. Jend300

Jend300
    from Maryland

That is neat you went to Westport. That is where I grew up watching racing from the age of 3.
    Here is another photo of Westport driver Junior Tauber.

[​IMG]

10. Great stuff, Jend300.

11. Jend300

Jend300
    from Maryland

Another famous car and driver from Maryland, Delaware and Central Pa. racing, Ray Kable.

[​IMG]

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I just love this style modified, reminds me of my high school days. If someone made a repop of this coupe with one working door I'd build myself a single seater, lake's modified coupe! Gary