Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maryland MVA Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Desert1957, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Desert1957

Desert1957
    from Pa/Md

Hello All,
    Can anyone help me with a few "Stupid" questions please?

I have a 34 ford Coupe I am trying to put on the road.

My questions is what will Maryland MVA need when I make the painfull trip to get my street rod tag?

All my title work was done in 2004, It shows an original 34 Ford VIN number on my new title now in my name with my correct address, Does the fact that I was mailed a new title mean the worst is over? but now I want to obtain my tag.
    When I purchased my NY title it came with a blank body tag , should I have it stamped with my VIN and install it some where on the car? How about insurance which is the easiest to obtain Grundy / Hagerty etc? Wil I need pictures of the car? If so how many?

All help appreciated....

Desert
    <!-- / message -->

2. BigEd

BigEd

Here's a web site that may help answer some of your MVA questions:

http://www.dmv.org/

As for insurance, I use Grundy and have had no problems. They wanted four pictures -- front, back, and both sides -- and a value appraisal, which was easily taken care of by my agent.

3. I can't imagine you'll have any problems. Historic / street rod tags are the only thing at MD MVA that isn't a huge challenge. You car qualifies for the permanent registration (one-time, $50) if it isn't "severely modified". My advice is to use the historic or street rod tags. $51 for 2 years, no inspections, no emissions test. If you have the MD title already, the worst is definitely over. They won't ask to see the car, pictures, or anything. All you need is the form and your insurance info.
    Form is here:
    http://www.marylandmva.com/OnlineServices/Docs/default.htm

Good luck!

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be nice to the person at the information desk. They will give you all the paperwork you need and the same person will see the paperwork before you go to get in line. I have found that if you are nice to the people at MVA, most will be nice to you as long as you have their favorite color.....GREEN...as in money.
    Make sure you have your insurance papers with you so you have your policy number etc. I was terrified when I bought my car last fall...about an hour at MVA and I was done and still smiling. It is really no big thing.