Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Marvel Schebler carb info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barrelnose pickup, May 8, 2021.

1. Could any of you carby guys tell me what the Model 10-2929 carb was off and any info on these carbs.They have a multiple mount base on them to fit where a 94 or 97 could be used.
    This is a single barrel model. It was mounted on a A Model A motor with a B crank, adjustable followers and big valves run in an old race car.
    I read that the Model 10-2928 was a replacement carb for 34-40 Ford v8s ,possibly a duel barrel.
    I asked on the Ford barn also ,
    Thanks for any info.

2. carbking

carbking

Original application was a dusty shelf on some of the mail order auto parts companies famous for quality parts. ;) (Whitney, Warshawski, Western Auto, etc.).

Originally sold to customers too frugal to purchase a carburetor rebuilding kit for their original carburetor. :p

Basically, one of the early "one size fits all, works well on nothing" carburetors.:eek:

Superceded in August 1948 by 10-3288.

Parts availability - your local machine shop ONLY. These were basically sold as a "disposable" unit. There are no parts listings, specifications, kits, etc. listed in the Marvel Schebler master books.

Best current usage:
    If clean - paperweight
    If dirty - doorstop

Jon.

Hnstray, ottoman, tomkelly88 and 13 others like this.
  3. Thanks Jon, a full response to my question, a little disheartening but the truth sometimes is, LOL

I still wonder why it was used on the race car though, the owner was a real competitor so it surprises me of the choice. We’ll never know as he passed a couple of years ago.
    Thanks again for your reply.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Barrelnose - some of the M/S aftermarket carburetors, while less than ideal in either design or quality of materials; did feature externally adjustable main metering jet(s), which might appeal to a racer.

As you say, we will never know. As he retained the unit, we must assume he was happy with it.

Jon.

loudbang, stillrunners and Johnny Gee like this.

5. Also might have been a NEW off the shelve carb he found.....

loudbang likes this.
  6. True story that, and it does have the adjustable
    main jet feature.
    The fella I got the gear off said he fit the carb and downdraft manifold to his standard 28 A and it ran quite a bit harder but he pulled it as the mpg went down dramatically.
    Thanks again for your inputs, much appreciated.

Attached Files:

302GMC likes this.
  7. prez

prez

Get a younger driver and itll go faster ...

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  8. Are you drinking and keyboarding again?

9. carbking

carbking

Barrelnose - a wee bit of additional information:

In your second picture, an indented oval is visible on the center section of the carburetor. When new, a "water decal" was pressed into this oval, with the "manufacturer's name". I have seen Johnson, Marvel/Schebler, personally and Wizzard seen by a friend.

Of course, guess what happened (quickly) to the water decal!

Jon.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Thank you, gents ... I now know where those carbs with the funny oval deal came from & what to do with them !

11. carbking

carbking

302GMC - In the FWIW category:

Some of them had single barrel cast iron flanges. We cut the flanges right below the throttle plates, and then would weld (well, take them to someone who can weld, I cannot :( ) two together at right angles to make cross flange adapters. The remainder of the carbs, some new old stock, were recycled.

Jon.

kidcampbell71 and 302GMC like this.