Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marty Strode is coming for YOU!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, May 6, 2011.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Just in case you don't know Marty, he's mostly known in recent years for racing roadsters on dirt tracks. But he's been deeply entrenched in hot rods, customs, and drag racing for longer than even he can remember. This guy's done it all and done it well. So when he asked me to post some shots of his latest project, I was honored. He's a member on here, but was having trouble loading photos.

The idea is a dual purpose car, running the six for HAMB Dragster duty, then switching over to the V-8 for some bracket fun, as well. You know Marty will be torturing this poor thing for all it's worth - he just doesn't know any other way to do it...

Anyway, he's out in the shop now, but will be checking in here periodically to answer questions, stand up to threats, call bullshit, etc. I believe this guy to be a true American treasure. Enjoy this rare one-on-one time with him. My work here is done now. See ya...
    Scotty

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Very nice to see this post. Can you talk him into more cars, especially the roaring roadsters?!?!?! I tried to track him down one year... never did get a phone number or address or link. Got that, too? Thanx, Gary

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Glad to hear Marty is on here.
    I have raced with him many times on the dirt. (22 roadster)
    He's a great guy.

4. I had the pleasure of having Marty restore my Ron Bizio A/GS Willys truck back in 1986, first time out he got the driving honors during the NDRA event of '87 at Baylands Raceway.

Attached Files:

5. aircap

aircap

I remember seeing Marty's work in Tex Smith's old "Hot Rod Mechanix" magazine.

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey, I just returned from running some errands - what'd you guys do with Marty? Where'd he go? Marty? ... Marty! ... Hmmm...

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

8. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, he isn't answering e-mail, either. Must've had something come up, I guess.
    And after I gave him that big Las Vegas introduction, too...

It'll be worth your while to keep an eye on this thread though - he'll be here and is always entertaining and informative, to say the least!

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Scotty, Thanks for the kind words in your introduction. I hope I can live up to all your praise. My plan is to get set up to post pictures of the dragster project and possibly others, if there is any interest. The dragster is just a take-off of a Hamb dragster. It is built to certify for NHRA 7.5 seconds and slower. I have built 2 others for customers, both were fitted with 300 Ford sixes. These cars could also wear a Bantam or (T) roadster or Fiat coupe body. Just trying to make it universal. Hopefully I will get onto this posting and replying, I would appreciate your patience as this is a new "world" for me. For those interested in the Track roadsters, I will work on some photos. Again, thanks for the intro, let's see how this goes.

Marty

10. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Welcome to the HAMB, that looks like a lot of fun.

11. 73RR

73RR

Welcome aboard Marty.

Gary

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Very neat stuff. Welcome.

13. Glad to see you on here Marty. You have always done great stuff. Any chance you could post some pictures of the FED you guys built back in the day. I love the "Ruthless" car. That thing was primo and kicked ass. You do some awesome work. The more you post the better. What town are you living in these days?

14. Like your style.......................Welcome aboard.

15. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

My Sons and I watch Marty drive Tom's Ron Bizio truck nearly weekly on my Jackson Bros Gasser Files vids. The warm up of that Hemi sounds great, especially when a 5 and 7 year old try to mock the Baaaaap Baaaap Baaaap. Great times! Hey Wilford, any chance you will PM me the specs on that Hemi? Wink Wink

16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I think there will be lots of interest. I'm curious about the wheelbase

We hope so too... Welcome aboard!

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The restoration and getting to drive Tom's truck will always be a memorable time for me. Not only the thrill, but hanging around the real heros of the gasser era. The reason that hemi sounded so good was it was the only one to my knowledge in the eightys that ran on gas. It also it helps to have a guy like Gene Adams around.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is a reply to #16. Nick ,the wheelbase on my dragster is 116", I built two others at 117" as they both had 300" ford sixes in them. Earlier posts asked about track roadster photos and the T/F dragster "Ruthless". I have a boatload of pictures to share as soon as I get set up here . Thank you, Marty

19. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

hello Marty. Did you know Bill Ireland? He lived a couple miles north of North Plains.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Badge Z28, I first saw Bill when he was racing "adios 1" his 61, 401hp two door Ford. In 1961 the car won 38 trophies . He was a fierce competitor all through the sixtys with lightweights,thunderbolts,A/FX mustangs an such. I lived only about 8 miles from him for years and met him shortly before he passed. He was clearly a legend in Ford drag racing circles.

21. RDR

RDR

Hello Marty and welcome to the HAMB....be looking forward to your posts and always enjoy hearing from you !
    Randy

22. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Marty sorry to bother you but we need updates. And some old dragster pics couldn`t hurt either. Thanks David

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

David, I have been very busy, I appreciate your interest. I have a boatload of pictures to scan and set a format. The pictures are of Track roadsters under construction to racing, dragsters including our old Fuller and Don Long nostalgia T/F cars we raced in the eightys. I am building a 29 roadster for a friend that looks 40's era. I will do my best to get these pictures posted as soon as I can. Thank you again for your interest. Marty

24. pcterm2

pcterm2

welcome,cant wait to see those pics

25. "The Mild One" rides again!

Now how cool is that!?! Marty, I corresponded with you about the little track roadsters 10 years ago or more while I was in college and in the process of building one myself. I don't expect you'd remember but It sure made an impression on me. It was via email, through a third party and on the other side of the continent but still one of the most enlightening and enjoyable experiences I've ever had. I still have the pics you sent me up in the shop for inspiration. Welcome to the mad house you should fit right in here.

26. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Hi Marty. I changed that info on my Fotki that you said was not yours.
    Mike

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for the kind words, one of the best aspects of this forum is reuniting with people you have corresponded with over the years. I sill have a notebook filled with names and addresses of people I sent pictures and information to after the articles on my #7 track roadster came out in American Rodder and The Rodder's Journal # 10. As I remember we sent you photos of the final assembly of the black #2 roadster with the Red Ram hemi engine I built for Steve VanGordon. Old #2 was back this last week for a check up. The odometer showed 18,000 miles. Good to hear from you again. Marty

28. Yep, that's me. I had just bought a little red ram to put together with an early Dodge Brothers cowel and doors. 18,000 miles that's awesome! I hate to admit it but between the expense of rebuilding the Hemi and never finding a seat section to go behind my doors my track roadster project never really got off the ground. Well, it is off the ground about 3 feet. It's still mocked up on my frame jig in my aunt's garage, lol.

29. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

I was talking to Marty yesterday and we decided for me to post some info on one of the more current projects he's been working on. A group of us have decided to go HAMB HA/DR Dragster racing in the Pacific Northwest. We've put together our own set of rules which are based on HA/DR rules, with modifications much like the SDRA has done. We're calling our group the Northwest Vintage Dragsters. We've put up a website:

http://home.comcast.net/~northwest.vintage.dragsters/site/

where anyone can go for more information.

Marty was instrumental in laying out a simple chassis design which all of our cars are based on so far. Marty bent up the tubing for 4 cars and did the basic assembly for 3 of them.

Two of the cars are already running on the drag strip. The first is Jerry Stauffer's. It runs a 300" Ford engine and C4 trans.
    Jerry_ds.jpg

The second car is mine and Slant "6" powered.
    Walt_ds.jpg

Jim Lindsay is still working on completing his car. It also runs a 300" Ford engine.
    mosaic_lindsay_ds.jpg

The 4th car is Marty's, and is still under construction. It runs a 250" Chevy engine.
    mosaic_marty_ds.jpg

This is a very fun and affordable way to get into (or back into) drag racing. We're looking for more people to join us so we can run in our own class at the track. Right now we're racing in an Inline/Flathead class in the Nostalgia Hot Rod Series of races at Woodburn Dragstrip. The next two races are Aug. 13/14 and Sept. 4. If nothing else, come out, stop by, and check things out.
    Both_Cars_ds.jpg
    I'll let Marty fill in more details.

- Walt

(Track photos are by George Adams, www.nwdragracing.com)

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Walt, Thanks for posting the pictures, it looks like you and Jerry are having a good time. I made a trade for a steering gear for my car with a fellow HAMB member,I am trying to finish my 53 Ford cabover to haul mine to the track next season. I understand Jerry ran mid 11s with his car just getting it sorted out. We could easily have 6 to 8 cars running next season. we are going to have some fun. Marty